Discuss Standalone AFDD board requiring SPD in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Has anyone fitted an SPD to a schneider standalone AFDD DB.

Isobar P B Standalone Active distribution board, Acti9, 24 AFDD ways​

This board only takes AFDDs so there is no where for the SPD MCB to go. There is a DIN rail next to the main switch. The SPD comes with a separate enclosure.

Acti 9 surge arrester kit 40kA withdrawable 3P+N​

Has anyone had this issue and if so how did you do it. I thought about installing the MCB on the DIN rail then going to the SPD in the separate enclosure. The issue with this is that the incoming tails are 35mm and I would need to feed the MCB in 35mm, so wouldn't have room in the main switch terminals for 2 x 35mm. Any ideas???

This board only takes AFDDs so there is no where for the SPD MCB to go. There is a DIN rail next to the main switch. The SPD comes with a separate enclosure.
A quick search shows there is an SPD option next to the incoming switch. Do you need it MCB protected? Many of the bigger SPD are safe to supply OCPD of 125A or 160A so it might be covered by the sub-main feed.
The issue with this is that the incoming tails are 35mm and I would need to feed the MCB in 35mm, so wouldn't have room in the main switch terminals for 2 x 35mm. Any ideas???
You don't need 35mm to the SPD, it is typically OK for 6mm L/N & 16mm CPC so providing they are mechanically protected (double sheathed, inside DB or DIN box bolted to that, less then 3m length though for SPD should be 0.25m ideally or 0.5m max) so don't need supply protection they are protected by the load MCB.

But again, does the SPD need additional protection?

That SPD kit looks like it is intended for use with a standard Acti9 board, it's got the neutral link to go onto the busbar stack etc.

You should speak to Schneider technical but I'm fairly sure it's the wrong SPD kit.

Reply to Standalone AFDD board requiring SPD in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net