Discuss Glossary of Terms in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Update #1 with some of the suggestions so far. Might also be worth having tables grouping specific sets of terms together (e.g. voltage designations such as LV/HV, etc)?

Attachments

• Glossary of Terms.pdf
    298.8 KB · Views: 8
OK, take 3! With some tables covering what LV/HV etc commonly mean, and cables in common UK use.

I'm sure folks will have other views and corrections so please take a look and let me know. Just updated as forgot ESQCR, etc

Attachments

• Glossary of Terms.pdf
    419.9 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
Another minor update. I guess if folks are happy with it then maybe find a slightly more permanent thread/posting for it.

Attachments

• Glossary of Terms.pdf
    425.1 KB · Views: 6
CYA... Cover Your Arse.
FFS ..... * *
UY... Up Yours
BOC.... Beer O/Clock.
FP Flipping Plumbers
Another minor update. I guess if folks are happy with it then maybe find a slightly more permanent thread/posting for it.
HVAC Heating, Ventilation and Air Conditioning
LPHW Low Pressure Hot Water also HPHW AS in High Pressure Hot Water
TEV thermostatic Expansion Valve

There's a few to add in this post I think...

Funnily enough, i was on the phone today with WPG about a Supercharger installation with ASHP and GSHP. So far my installs have been a mix of sending the forms to DNO to request capacity increase prior to quoting clients and designing the install, and the other extreme where the installs are very small compared to the supply size and as such done within 28 days. I do find the DNO in my areas NPG and WPG to be really helpful and so far have been quite accommodating. I dont view the DNO notification in the same way as Grants as its a simple process, is FOC and so far not had a come back or denial of service.

A 60 second scan threw up these errata:

DP = Double Pole (not dual)
CNE = Combined Neutral / Earth (not common)
MES = Miniature Edison Screw (not medium)

Add ELCB and distniguish it from RCD

Another take, with corrections and additions. To my surprise no one (not even me, until now) noticed the lack of EIC/EICR!

Attachments

• Glossary of Terms.pdf
    428.3 KB · Views: 7
Couldn't fine SES = Small Edison Screw as in light bulb.
CDM = Construction Design & Management
HSWA = Heath and Safety at Work Act.

Last edited:
Also, it's not electrical terms in general but specifically acronyms. As such it probably shouldn't contain any BS numbers (otherwise there's a lot to do), product codes etc.

Reply to Glossary of Terms in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net