Discuss Recommendation request for Type B distribution board in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
As a retired electrician, I need to specify a new type B board for a village church. Principal load is heating. Ipfc phase to phase is 1.1kA.
Requirements:
  • 23 final circuits, so don't want to exceed an 8 way board - pref no higher than about 625mm.
  • SPD therefore not to steal 3 MCB positions but to sit alongside incomer.
  • Need AFDDs combined into single module with either MCB or RCBO depending on the circuit - don't wish to use a separate enclosure for AFDDs.
  • Decent quality but not unduly expensive whilst avoiding Chinese tat.
All the above could be met by Hager, except that their MCB/AFDD and RCBO/AFDD units (ARM9**U and ARR9**U) are only rated at 6kA and, Hager tell me, "are 6kA devices that have not been tested in a 3 phase installation or DB." Their planned ARL9**U series is not yet released but they say "will be suitable for 3 phase boards" despite being 6kA.
What suggestions could you fellows make, please?

FuseBox have just released a 3ph board with all the accessories - might be worth taking a look at and report back to us?

FuseBox have just released a 3ph board with all the accessories - might be worth taking a look at and report back to us?
Tried their website, seems rather short of detail. They offer a 7 way - but one way is robbed for the SPD, so too small - and 11 way but no detail on this whatsoever, not even dimensions.
I've been dealing with a Fusebox CU installed by someone else and am under impressed - poor alignment of mounting rail with case, so had to almost completely dismantle it to get lid to fit without undue pressure on the devices.
I was rather hoping that one of you fellows would have glanced at my wish list and said "brand X will do that".

I was rather hoping that one of you fellows would have glanced at my wish list and said "brand X will do that".

From the opening post one might get the impression that your wish list consists solely of Hager Invicta, but clearly that isn't going to fit the bill on this occasion.

Some compromises will need to be made and you'll have to determine whether those compromises can be made on size, price or perceived quality. Availability of AFDDs is probably going to reduce options considerably.

Height of Fusebox 11 way is 812mm according to paper catalogue . Know what you mean about alignment with their domestic boards, I do fit them as pretty much standard though as excellent vfm and so far zero out of box failures...(I'm looking at you Crabtree..) I've taken to trial fitting cover with devices on rail before termination to fine tune the fit before end of day frustration.

Just looked at their website and full specs are available for the whole range. Availability may be an issue as they are currently in the process of being released and I don't see an AFDD option for these boards as yet.
you are right no AFDDs available in paper catalogue either, although it does say 'TPN boards will accept FuseBox 6kA devices without any modification or additional hardware'...make of that what you will...

Just out of interest, why are you specifying AFDDs?
This is a village church where the major part of the heating is from quartz/IR radiants at wall plate level, thus the wiring is at height. The concern is that connections up there will never be checked at any subsequent EICRs due to access limitations, thus increasing the risk of fire at some future time, so prudent to fit AFDDs while we can.
And yes, in the normal course of events I would resist such manufacturer-imposed novelties. (Ducks back under the parapet.)

Reply to Recommendation request for Type B distribution board in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net