Electrical2Go - Online Electrical Supplier
This official sponsor may provide discounts for members

swa

• Thread starter reedsinthewater
  • Start date

Discuss swa in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

R

reedsinthewater

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:  American Electrical Advice Forum

Hi all, what is the purpose of the brass ring and shroud in the gland kit of SWA? Thanks.

CK Tools :) The professionals choice when it comes to Electrical Tools
D

DHES-LTD

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
By brass ring do you mean the olive or the banjo??

S

Sparky-Tom

If by brass ring you mean the banjo; this is used for connecting the gland to earth, run a cable from this banjo to the earth bar/terminal in the panel/CU

As for the shroud, the only purpose I can think of is for a neater job

D

Dannyg83

The shroud is just to protect the gland a bit from the elements or any other substances that could possibly cause corrison , the banjo is for connecting the gland to earth and the olive is for making sure the armour has a tight connection round the gland

Last edited by a moderator:
R

reedsinthewater

I meant the olive, found the answer, thanks for the help

sparks1234

-
Arms
Just a thought, if we didn't put an earth cable inside the dis board (which we never used to as we just bolted the banjo down)is there any point in having the banjo, let me explain my thought, if the gland is tight on the casing then we have a good earth so dont need the banjo, if the gland is loose we dont have an earth and the banjo is useless anyway. Also, MEM have told me their casings are as good as installing an earth from the banjo to the earth bar

S

Spudnik

Indeed but i think you should still bolt down the banjo.

I wouldnt trust the gland nut to stay tight forever.

sparks1234

-
Arms
Indeed but i think you should still bolt down the banjo.

I wouldnt trust the gland nut to stay tight forever.

Thatsmy point though Jason, if the gland nut loosens then the grip has gone on the banjo, I could understand it more if the banjo was under its own lockring

S

Spudnik

Thatsmy point though Jason, if the gland nut loosens then the grip has gone on the banjo, I could understand it more if the banjo was under its own lockring
Ah i see.

I suppose one of those pirahna (?) nuts would be better.

sparks1234

-
Arms
Perhaps we are thinking too much Jason, we should be down the pub this time on a Saturday night

Reply to swa in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Bulk Workwear - Clothing Suppliers for the Whole Forum Network
Top Bottom