Discuss swimming pool wiring from dedicated 30Amp spur in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
I incorrectly posted this on the "electrician's forum" and got a bit of a cold shoulder.
Looking for some tips on supplying my pool equipment (2kw heater, 1hp pump, 1.6kw swim jet, 12w led light) with power.

My house has a 30amp electrical switched spur waiting for this job. I would like to run a 16mm 4-core SWA cable from it to end on other side of garden (30meters). At the end I would like to connect three separate latched RCD sockets (one for heater, pump and swim jet).

The light is a little tricky. I would like to take a positive from the house's 30Amp spur, add a latched fused (at 3Amps) RCD spur inline, add a "booster switch" (so I can switch my pool light on from the kitchen window) and then connect the positive from the booster to the "4th core" of the 16mm SWA mentioned earlier, so as to provide a positive to the pool light's transformer (the pool's LED build is 12v). This means the 16mm 4 core cable will have a main positive (for the heater, pump and swim jet) and a second positive for the LED pool light.

I should further explain the electrics described above are within zone1 . I was hoping to rely on the fact that BS7671 allows conventional BS1363 socket outlets (all mine will be latched 30mA RCD), providing it is non-metallic, to be installed at least 1.25 m from the edge of the pool and at least 0.3 m from the floor. My intended positioning of all the above is 400mm higher than the pool and 1.8 meters away from pool edge.

Would really appreciate some views/tips on how this sounds.

No I don't have control however there is a reason why you have had no other responses, you are not competent to be doing this and people are not willing to offer advice.

No I don't have control however there is a reason why you have had no other responses, you are not competent to be doing this and people are not willing to offer advice.
Well, little reasoning would be nice. I am a regular DIYer, you're right, but I would like to understand a little more. Chances are this won't advance before I hire a spark to come do it for me. I'm a chartered engineer in my own discipline so hoped I could learn a little here beyond the "go hire someone who knows" kind off thing

Reply to swimming pool wiring from dedicated 30Amp spur in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net