Search the forum,

Discuss Technical question for IR testing in the Electrical Testing & PAT Testing Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Remember you are testing the fixed wiring… not the loads on the end, not even a lamp… and you’re not resting the devices in the board either.

So all it is is a bunch of cables. You’re testing there are no shorts where there shouldn’t be, and continuity of cables where there should be.

Which means testing L to E, N to E and L to N…. Last one is where you have to make sure nothing is connected / plugged in.
I feel this comment perhaps give an incomplete picture.

Installed equipment should be tested to ensure that exposed conductive parts are connected to the system earth (typically an R2 test), and that there are no faults between live parts and earth (IR test L+N to earth). Without confirming these, a fault between L and an an un-earthed exposed conductive part could go undetected, leaving a C1 fault.

I feel this comment perhaps give an incomplete picture.

Installed equipment should be tested to ensure that exposed conductive parts are connected to the system earth (typically an R2 test), and that there are no faults between live parts and earth (IR test L+N to earth). Without confirming these, a fault between L and an an un-earthed exposed conductive part could go undetected, leaving a C1 fault.
Yes, I did simplify things somewhat… and what I said was really aimed at initial testing, before equipment is connected.

I was also trying to convey the fact that testing N-E was as important as L-E, which was part of the OP query.

Reply to Technical question for IR testing in the Electrical Testing & PAT Testing Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net