Discuss testing a fire alarm pannel in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net

i=p/u

-
Arms
Reaction score
can anyone tell me a little info from there knowledge bank about testing a fire alarm panel .

i inspected and tested a job but left the fire alarm panel out as was up and running, just waiting to be commissioned it said on screen, so i didn't touch it.

All i know is has to be more than 2M ohms on insulation resistance .

I'm thinking do i just test up to the spur before it?

is the cable feeding it 4core ? i.e line, neural permanent live ,cpc?

just anything you think i would need to consider..

Im sure he will go through it with me , but you know me i wanna impress him with my knowledge , as we talk about it... thanks i=p/u

The number of cores depends on the system but either way you should test R1 + R2 as normal, most systems are 24 volt, condition and capacity of batteries, all heads off before IR testing, smoke tests on smokes obviously and heat on heats. Be very careful to disconnect all cables to the panel before IR testing. Any jointing should be in fire proof boxed and soldered. Panel should be close to main entrance, all zones clearly labelled and appropriate documentation there too. Smokes have a range between detectors of 7.5m Heats 5m. Manual call-points at all exits and changes of levels.

Last edited:
Just test up to the spur, disconnect or make sure panel is isolated, its own battery back-up system will keep it going although it may beep a power loss tone, also check it isn't a monitored system which may contact a 3rd party automatically whenit discovers a power loss. It may be an addressable system too and really you want to leave these types to the trained testers who service it, but for future ref' if you suspect you may accidently activate a smoke detector with dust etc where your working always enquire if the panel is linked to a fire control station and if so request any alarms be ignored during the course of your work. In the schools around here they are all auto-dial on alarm and if the fire brigade come to a false alarm they slap you with a £500 bill..... but this may vary region to region.

Some larger places have the fire alarm fed direct from the mains so that if DB is turned off or trips the MCCB the fire panel will still be live
just test to the FCU at panel disconnect fire panel from this before you test as electronics and 500v dont go to well together

I was goign to cover what mr Dark said about linked alarms Shopping centers are the worst and remember even if the manager says " its fine" Go to control room and check If you have paperwork do what I do get them to sign saying they have isolated it as not only call out from F.b. but other stores may try for loss of buisness compensation Also sign on reinstatement that way you are covered

well the group i work with just pulled the cables for it, and then it was commissioned by fire and security solutions firm...

he said we would have the codes as its an addressable system.

so im inclined to think maybe im just testing up to the fused spur as they probably shouldn't of commissioned it without doing their tests on their fp200 type cable.

would their fire alarm certificates require insulation resistance test results and the like, if im asking pie in sky question, say i=p/u you dont have a clue sir!!

if you are testing fixed wiring, then you test up to thre FCU. the fire alarm as such , is the responsibility of the fire alarm installer, not your problem.

Reply to testing a fire alarm pannel in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net