• Welcome to the new forum. We're now hosted on ElectriciansForums.net rather than ElectriciansForums.co.uk - Chat about the forum upgrade by CLICKING HERE

Welcome to our Electrical Forum - We started out providing electrical advice just for the UK - But now we have specific advice for the USA too! - Register for free and share American Electrical Advice.

Discuss Testing Electricity Meters in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Nicky Murtagh

EF Member
I have been asked by the owner of a caravan site to go round and check all the meters onsite to make sure they are working properly. Has anybody been asked to do this before? What is the best way to test them? I was thinking to plug something in which has a big load and watch the numbers going up?has anybody any other ideas?

Cheers

Spoon

Forum Mentor
I'm keeping an eye on this one as I'm interested to see how its done and if there is a special way of testing them.
I'd just plug in a heater at home for 10 mins and see what reading I get on the meter. Then I'd do the same in each caravan and see if I get a similar reading.... or is there more to it??

Charlie_

Electrician's Arms
Calibrated ammeter and volt meter.
Plug in s fixer load, test the values, with out power and check it against the kWh meter

James the Spark1976

electricity is it real or just magic?
Electrician's Arms
When he says he wants them checked to make sure they are working properly, is this that he is concerned some aren’t working at all or is he after a calibration certificate for each so he can bill from the meters? You can rent load banks that have calibration certificates.

Nicky Murtagh

EF Member
When he says he wants them checked to make sure they are working properly, is this that he is concerned some aren’t working at all or is he after a calibration certificate for each so he can bill from the meters? You can rent load banks that have calibration certificates.
I think he just suspects some of them aren't working correcctly, he doesnt need certs or anything.

Nicky Murtagh

EF Member
Thanks for the replies, could you just use clapm meter and heater for a load, then calculate the kwh, from the ampage on clamp meter?

PEG

Respected Member
I would imagine,a proper test would include a range of loads,from smallest,to largest. This was common with meters of old.
The biggest error with mechanical meters,was their inaccuracy at lower loads,therefore not recording the majority of a days use.

I know of many properties,where you can stick on most of the downstairs lights,LED's,i know,but the meter wheel remains frozen:)

Zerax

Regular EF Member
Alot depends on how accurate you want to be with the test... it's very easy to check it within say 10%... harder within say 5%... and I would guess some very controlled bench testing to get it less than 1%

PEG

Respected Member
Just a quick calculation,shows a 1% error,as in 1A on 100A supply,is £250 over 365 days.

It would be this type of error,which accrued costs in either direction,not the short burst of kettle/shower use :)

Electrician Talk

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
Electrical 2 Go - Electrical Supplier and Electrical Wholesalers
Electrical Insurance
ElectriciansForums.net (formerly known as ElectriciansForums.co.uk) was setup in April 2006 to provide free electrical advice to both professional and DIY electricians. Whether seeking advice for auto electrics, trying to find electrical installation condition reports (EICR) form downloads, or whether you're here just to talk to other electricians; we've been a first-choice website for tens of thousands of sparkies for well over a decade.