Discuss Testing sqD GFCI breaker in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Weekend sparker here, I have a sqd 2 pole 50amp GFCI breaker it was mounted out side in a service box, have not had a problem till now 3yrs old, it trips instantly when rest, with the breaker out of the box, I check resistance across the load side of the breaker from either load 1 to neutral or load 2 to N or load 1 to 2 they all start out @ 27ohms and increases to 45+ ohms, if I reset breaker ( it's out of the box) and test resistance from line 1 to load side 2 yes opposite side with breaker on I also have a rising ohm reading 27 and increasing to 39+ohms , I'm coming up with a faulty GFCI breaker that's leaking internally...... Am I on the right path ??? Or do I need to look at spa unit as having a GFCI fault some where

If it will energise and stay on when the supply is connected but none of the outgoing cables are connected then the unit is likely ok.

Ok. I will try that. I had pulled it to get a better bench test on it when I had seen the raising resistance, and didn't know if it had gotten moisture in it and caused a leak across the the poles or was creating a soft ground point, I never tested a GFCI breaker that had resistance across the load connection's, I was also told sqd breakers are not good for spa units. But at time of install that was all that was available 🤔 so I will try it out in morning..

What you see by way of rising resistance on your meter can be caused by eg a capacitor in an electronic circuit charging up (from the battery in your tester), not a fault! The gubbins below require power, so you will see resistance across some terminals from the power supply components.

7AA25C1E-31C8-4ED0-B454-AAD182CAA220.jpeg

Ok I see that it could be energizing the trip coil but wouldn't the 2 poles be separated and have there own sensing coil? And then be connected to the neutral line? I could see there being resistance from load 1 to neutral or load 2 but not load 1 to 2.. just a head scratcher gonna be testing in a few when I get home

Weekend sparker here, I have a sqd 2 pole 50amp GFCI breaker it was mounted out side in a service box, have not had a problem till now 3yrs old, it trips instantly when rest, with the breaker out of the box, I check resistance across the load side of the breaker from either load 1 to neutral or load 2 to N or load 1 to 2 they all start out @ 27ohms and increases to 45+ ohms, if I reset breaker ( it's out of the box) and test resistance from line 1 to load side 2 yes opposite side with breaker on I also have a rising ohm reading 27 and increasing to 39+ohms , I'm coming up with a faulty GFCI breaker that's leaking internally...... Am I on the right path ??? Or do I need to look at spa unit as having a GFCI fault some where
My suggestion is to replace the 50 amp GFCI breaker. Over time they will go bad.

Reply to Testing sqD GFCI breaker in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net