Discuss Thanks for the accept & a question for a noob :) in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
I do mostly DIY stuff at home & find most of the help I need online. I've illuminated my garden with LED lighting you could probably see from space lol. But I do a lot of hobby stuff with LED lighting & so on. But I've come here because I've ventured into a new area I'm not all that failure with.

I've made a dolls house out of wood. And I'm getting to the stage of installing some LED lights for each of the rooms. Now I've got myself some 12v LED lights. I've also found a 12v 1A DC power supply I've chopped off the ends & hooked up to the light for testing, which works great as you can see from the attached picture. The pink one is different because It's inside a 3D Printed shade designed to mimic a strip light. Anyways, I'm just wondering how many 12v LED strip lights I can power from the 12v 1A DC power supply, which is basically an old charger for something ancient.

My understanding is, you multiply the voltage by the amps to get the max amount of watts it can power. But the power draw is 12v multiplied by the amp = the watts, which is in my case 12w or 12v. So can I only power 1 12v LED strip light from my power supply I've mentioned. Or can I power multiple 12v LED strip lights, so long it doesn't exceed the combined 240v, which would be 20 12v = 240v.

I thought I'd come & ask, because I don't want to cause any overheating of the power supply.

Attachments

• LED.jpeg
    49.2 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
You can power 12w of lights from your power supply as your first calculation suggests. You don't use the mains voltage - that's not the voltage powering the LED's.

Welcome to the forum mate.
At above, 12w with your 1A power supply.
You can get some cheap power supplies if you require more. Like these.
What wattage do you require?

I do mostly DIY stuff at home & find most of the help I need online. I've illuminated my garden with LED lighting you could probably see from space lol. But I do a lot of hobby stuff with LED lighting & so on. But I've come here because I've ventured into a new area I'm not all that failure with.

I've made a dolls house out of wood. And I'm getting to the stage of installing some LED lights for each of the rooms. Now I've got myself some 12v LED lights. I've also found a 12v 1A DC power supply I've chopped off the ends & hooked up to the light for testing, which works great as you can see from the attached picture. The pink one is different because It's inside a 3D Printed shade designed to mimic a strip light. Anyways, I'm just wondering how many 12v LED strip lights I can power from the 12v 1A DC power supply, which is basically an old charger for something ancient.

My understanding is, you multiply the voltage by the amps to get the max amount of watts it can power. But the power draw is 12v multiplied by the amp = the watts, which is in my case 12w or 12v. So can I only power 1 12v LED strip light from my power supply I've mentioned. Or can I power multiple 12v LED strip lights, so long it doesn't exceed the combined 240v, which would be 20 12v = 240v.

I thought I'd come & ask, because I don't want to cause any overheating of the power supply.
Unless the power supply has come from the less discerning factories in China, or is very old, it should have integral overload protection to avoid overheating.

Is it an LED specific driver or a AC/DC transformer for a small appliance?

12V LED drivers can be bought from Screwfix and the like very cheaply, the one attached is £10 and can be wired to a 13A plug, with a 3A fuse fitted.

Screenshot_20201024-082739_Samsung Internet.jpg

It has 16W of driving power and both thermal and overload protection and should cover all your needs.

Hi thanks for the replies. I've attached an image of the power supply I was thinking of using.
As for the LED Lights, they're 7.5cm long at 12v 120mA each. I think that calculates to about 1.5w? And I hope to power 6 of them from the power supply.

If you think it's a bit dodgy. I will probably go for the LED drivers mentioned above. I was just thinking of making use of some of these unused power supplies.

Attachments

• 20201024_130926.jpg
    236 KB · Views: 9
Hi thanks for the replies. I've attached an image of the power supply I was thinking of using.
As for the LED Lights, they're 7.5cm long at 12v 120mA each. I think that calculates to about 1.5w? And I hope to power 6 of them from the power supply.

If you think it's a bit dodgy. I will probably go for the LED drivers mentioned above. I was just thinking of making use of some of these unused power supplies.
Six lights at 120mA each is about 0.72 Amp, so well within the capability of your PSU.
Your power brick has the TUV notified body approval mark on it - they're a reputable outfit - referencing the appropriate standard, and assuming it's not a forgery, the design will have undergone formal type testing and shown to be safe. I would be happy to use it in preference to many of the things on Amazon or eBay.

That said, nothing wrong with the Aurora supply mentioned earlier - good brand!

Last edited:
Six lights at 120mA each is about 0.72 Amp, so well within the capability of your PSU.
Your power brick has the TUV notified body approval mark on it - they're a reputable outfit - referencing the appropriate standard, and assuming it's not a forgery, the design will have undergone formal type testing and shown to be safe. I would be happy to use it in preference to many of the things on Amazon or eBay.

That said, nothing wrong with the Aurora supply mentioned earlier - good brand!
Hi, yeah that's what I was thinking. I wasn't aware of the TUV, may I ask which one it is so I can keep an eye out for it in future as a reference? I'm assuming its either the squares or the house?

Well I've currently hooked all 6 up to the power supply after reading your reply & left them on the hob to see if either overheats or anything & all seemed fine. So, I think I've cracked it with your help :)

Hi, yeah that's what I was thinking. I wasn't aware of the TUV, may I ask which one it is so I can keep an eye out for it in future as a reference? I'm assuming its either the squares or the house?

Well I've currently hooked all 6 up to the power supply after reading your reply & left them on the hob to see if either overheats or anything & all seemed fine. So, I think I've cracked it with your help :)
Hi
The squares symbol means double insulated - doesn't require an earth wire
the house symbol means use it only indoors
the next symbol with TUV Rheinland in it, and the standard numbers, is the product approval mark. It supports the CE mark that's next to it.
finally the 'crossed out wheelie-bin synbol' means don't throw it away in the household rubbish, at end of life treat it as Waste Electrical & Electronic Equipment (WEEE). The black bar is part of the wheelie-bin symbol!
there you go!

Reply to Thanks for the accept & a question for a noob :) in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net