Discuss Thermal cameras in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi guys.

Any of you have thermal cameras? If so what are your thoughts? which ones do you have? Has anyone got the new FLIR one for smartphones? I’ve got a testing contract that’s ongoing so am looking for something to speed up the time spent on finding poor connections. Thought this would be good for finding high resistance joints behind sockets without the need to take them all off for example.

what are your thoughts?

Takes a bit of experience to use them correctly and they are better if you are looking direct at the terminals ie in a DB with the cover off. I have seen some switch gear with special windows to look in.
A remote temperature sensor the type you point and pull a trigger may be better for sockets as you could compare the front of the socket temperature with an adjacent bit of wall to look for relative heat rise. But only as Davesparks says, when it is on load.

I gave a flir thermal imaging camera that attaches to the i phone . It's not bad but it takes some adjusting to work to its optimum. As Dave said with regard to high resistance joints. The temperature display is very useful.

As mentioned above, they tend to work best on heavier larger loads, and with the panel covers off.
I've used them on larger industrial 3 phase panels and they are superb.
Not sure how much use they would be on smaller circuits unless feeding decent sized loads.

The fluke ones are good.. But then all the Fluke stuff is good in my opinion..

As mentioned above, they tend to work best on heavier larger loads, and with the panel covers off.
I've used them on larger industrial 3 phase panels and they are superb.
Not sure how much use they would be on smaller circuits unless feeding decent sized loads.

The fluke ones are good.. But then all the Fluke stuff is good in my opinion..
I have a fluke tis65. I would also use it for hydraulics as well as electrical panels.

I have a beha-amprobe one it is small and similar to the ir thermometer size, it is very good but very basic and was only about £200
IMG_20200107_2034590.jpg

I have had the opportunity to try a Flir C3 camera,and it was very useful.
This is not the top range type of thing,but not an add on,either,so may be more than can be justified,for the occasional use.

I loved it,and found you could seek and find,lots of other uses. Mechanical,hydraulic,plumbing...insulating an outside dog kennel? ... perfect ;)

I have not bought my own,yet,as i was looking at the later models,and also,hoping for some Christmas deals,but i will probably stick to the C3 and swallow the cost.

What i usually do,for a "want" toy,is hold off,because it feels a bit extravagant...then wait until i see a dozen kids,casually dropping their grand's worth of I-phones,then just order one :cool:

Reply to Thermal cameras in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net