Discuss Three way lighting issue in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
okay so noob question...during this outbreak no electricians will come into our house...so I've been messing around with simple projects. Outlet in the wall, moved a light fixture, installed a smart switch. But I F'd something up when I got carried away. We have a light next to the garage that is beautiful but never gets used because you have to go into the garage. I figured with my new skills I'd try to connect that light to one of the other lights on a switch we can access from the house. The reason I've been bold is most of our wiring is in the attic and super easy to access, but this being an outdoor light, the wall is full of insulation, and the wall is difficult to access since it's near the edge of the house. But I still thought after cracking the box open that I could maybe get a wire down there. I didn't have a ton of room to work with though, and as I tried to drill down into the wall, I hit one of the wires going down.

There are two switches in the box, one is to the outdoor light I want to change, the other is a 3 way switch, controlling a light inside the garage that can also be controlled with a switch inside the house that we access all the time.

After I hit the wire with the bit, the light inside he garage stopped working. I got everything else patched up to work with no issues. But I'm worried about that wire I hit. I also want to get that light in the garage working again...

First question would be how do I get that damaged wire safely out of the circuit?

Second, can I somehow get that light working with the other switch it's hooked up to as a single pole vs 3 way?

Trying not to have to hire anyone for now...one trying to figure it out here, two no one we've called will come with the quarantine.

Reply to Three way lighting issue in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net