Discuss Tightening locknuts with hammer and screwdriver-dog rough or not? in the Electrical Engineering Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

Falls into the same debate as house bashers using their 18v impact driver on consumer units

Vomit Barf GIF
Not really. One is really just stupidly stunningly dumb, the other is a last ditch method only to be used when all else has failed.

You should try working on a marshalling kiosk on a large transformer. On some of them there's no wa to get a spanner of any kind in. The designers had no thoughts on maintenance :-(
I'm guilty of using a hammer and screwdriver. When you are working on a gland plate with 24+ glands in 4 rows of 6 and you need to remove one from one of the inner rows there's just no chance of getting in with anything else :-(
Yeah, sounds like some of the badly designed cabinets we also have to work with. Like you say when there's 25 or 30 glands in multiple rows rammed into a gland plate with maybe 10mm space between and they're large diameter SWA cables that can't be moved around to make some swinging room then you're often left with no other option but to use an impact type tool rather than a spanner or socket.

We keep stock of nuts between M20 and M60 that have a castle shaped outer rim which are ideal for tightening or loosening with a pin punch or a screwdriver if you're in a bind. They're often called 'locknuts' in the hardware catalogues and it's worth carrying a small selection in your kit for a rainy day.
A0500_LN_sml.jpg

I find a lot of that style nut on some of the Canadian equipment that we fit. Maybe they are big over there?

I find a lot of that style nut on some of the Canadian equipment that we fit. Maybe they are big over there?
You see them quite often on Copex type flexible conduit fittings that are widely used in the USA and Canada for connecting commercial equipment to fused and unfused disconnect switches. They're designed to be tightened with a 'C-spanner' but they work very well as a slogging nut using an extra long pin punch.
41YP5-k7DgL._SS400_.jpghq720.jpg

67761998-1-zoom.jpeg

Another useful idea from Canada! I'd like some for the fixings box, just in case...
Talking of Canada, anyone else using Robertson screws just to annoy the next guy?
these days many bit sets you buy from screwfix / toolstation now come with a square 2 and sometimes even a square 1 & 2

I actually prefer torx over when it comes to wood screws

The quality of the nuts from the suppliers is so poor and thin the hammer and screwdriver is sometimes the only sure way of getting them anywhere near tight. It is old school and sounds rough but the key is continuity and security of the gland and as for it coming apart again how often does that happen and you don’t want it to come loose anyway.

I had a job recently where myself and an apprentice had to gland and terminate a 50mm SWA cable in a panel. I put the locknut in a vice and filed V shaped notches in the 6 leading edges. The apprentice was curious as to what I was doing. As we installed it, I got my trusty old screwdriver out and hammered the locknut tight as my assistant held the gland with his stillies. On completion, he said that it was dog rough, but so difficult to tighten with gland nut pliers. I would be interested to now what others think.
Each to their own, but for me it’s right tool for the job, everytime. When you don’t have the right tool that is the problem/dilemma. And if you are slack with that, what else are you slack with?

Each to their own, but for me it’s right tool for the job, everytime. When you don’t have the right tool that is the problem/dilemma. And if you are slack with that, what else are you slack with?

How do you use the right tool in circumstances in which there is no prospect of getting that tool near the luck nut?

I think the question to ask is "why can't you get the right tool near the locknut", is it because your drilled the holes too close together, or the enclosure is too small, or as I said in a previous post I can't believe that a manufacturer would put an enclosure on the market with knockouts without thinking this through, or is everyone going to blame a previous muppet. 😇

my local housing association has flats, making a fortune from rent and leasehold charges. fleet of new Transits every 2 years. and you should see the bodged repairs. broken timber purlin repaired with a couple of coachbolts. no support. disabled ramp that nobody can use. ( this eventually was demolished following a water supplly leak they'd built it over.) almost on a par with the council taking 14 weeks to fill a pothole after it was reported dangerous and several cars damaged.

Reply to Tightening locknuts with hammer and screwdriver-dog rough or not? in the Electrical Engineering Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net