Discuss Tightening locknuts with hammer and screwdriver-dog rough or not? in the Electrical Engineering Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

That's why I use a ring spanner they are capable of multiple position fitting onto the nut and turning a small distance serration by serration unlike an open ended spanner, or use a Wera Joker combination ratchet spanner, 30deg turn should be capable enough.
I get the point you're making, but sometimes there isn't sufficient space.

I don't like chisels being used on a lock ring, but understand that occasionally there is no other option.

I often find I have to use a chisel and hammer to tighten locknuts. I see no harm in it, and often nothing else will work in the space available. Reading the comments here, some people seem very much against it. Could anyone explain what harm might come as a result of using this technique?

I often find I have to use a chisel and hammer to tighten locknuts. I see no harm in it, and often nothing else will work in the space available. Reading the comments here, some people seem very much against it. Could anyone explain what harm might come as a result of using this technique?

Damaging the flat sides of the nut, making it difficult for a proper spanner to fit on. Depending how heavy-handed you are of course!

It's a necessary evil, but not one that should be used if an alternative exists (IMO).

Just a thought, if you can't get the proper tool in to do the job is the enclosure or work just carried out fit for purpose.

A very good customer needs a supply taken from a perfectly good, but badly glanded board. Do you a). refuse the job because you're going to have to chisel a locknut, or b). do the job and live with the fact you had to chisel a locknut in a job which is otherwise perfectly satisfactory?

This customer may account for hundreds of thousands of pounds of your annual turnover and not everything in life is box fresh or perfect.

Okay, so no real worries then. I'm not concerned about being unable to get a spanner on the nut after using the chisel, as I've already established that a spanner isn't up to the job. It's a practical solution to a practical problem and I'm surprised that so many here feel so strongly against it.

Reply to Tightening locknuts with hammer and screwdriver-dog rough or not? in the Electrical Engineering Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net