Discuss Trying to get started in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

ringer

-
Reaction score
Am in process of establishing myself as an electrician - long way to go yet. Background is in manufacturing, but it is dying a death in this country. My thoughts are to retrain and I know a fair bit about electricity, am used to complying with regulations and love problem solving etc. I am in my late forties, have a degree in Manufacturing Systems Engineering and am willing (eager even) to learn something new via studying and experience. I read through regs and manuals for entertainment! My son is in first year college so I borrowed his on site guide and read it cover to cover. My plan is to start up doing PAT testing - small jobs that the big boys are not interested in - and put myself through college. I realise this will take 2-3 years before I become qualified, but that is my goal.

Any thoughts or advice?

You will struggle to make much money pat testing its very competetive and small jobs wont pay much.
3 years at college to train properly but then you will need work experience.

The market is flooded with electricians and lots are out of work or struggling at the mo.

Because of your age you may find it hard to gain employment.

Good luck tho if its what you realy want to do. Train properly and dont run before you can walk.

Your first step should be the small business advisory service its free and covers everything from tax to marketing just google it for contact numbers etc. After course you get invited to networking events where you meet the buyer face to face.

As for PAT testing prices vary but the bogit and scarper brigade are charging 50 to 70p thats a lot of work to find to even cover the cost of the equipment you bought to do the job. So you will need to do a lot of market research in your area to see if it is viable.

Good luck

Chris

Thanks for the input guys. I do not expect to make a fortune, or even a living, out of PAT testing. I am currently unemployed and receiving no benefits, only living off the small amount my wife earns. Just want to do something to bring in a little money, and to feel like I have a positive direction and am making progress, no matter how small or slowly. I have already been on Business Link and Inland Revenue courses - one of the courses was called 'Is it for me?' and you know what? ... I realised that if I don't give it a go, I will never find out the answer to that. I have been thinking about this for some time - too long - and need to actually get on and do it.
I am wary of doing any work that I am not qualified to do - most definitely am not, and do not want to be known as, a cowboy. Reputation means a lot to me. Made sure I got C&G2377 before I started and have already invested in decent kit. Am very confident of my ability to tackle the practical side of electrical work, and am learning all the time about the technicalities (one of the reasons I am on these forums).

You need to get back on to Business Link and ask them about networking events that way you will meet lots of people in one place and they are the ones you want to talk to. The same people that are normally impossible to get hold of at their place of work.

Good luck

Chris

you also may have trouble getting onto college course due to the new qualification route, i would advise due to your age 2382, 2391, and 2377 then partp try and gain bit more practical experience in the meantime and forget the 3-4 year route. A lot of firms will employ with the above and its enough to cover part p.

2382 2-3 day course
2391 about 10 weeks (although a lot of extra study required for this one)
2377 about 8 weeks

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the input guys. I do not expect to make a fortune, or even a living, out of PAT testing. I am currently unemployed and receiving no benefits, only living off the small amount my wife earns. Just want to do something to bring in a little money, and to feel like I have a positive direction and am making progress, no matter how small or slowly. I have already been on Business Link and Inland Revenue courses - one of the courses was called 'Is it for me?' and you know what? ... I realised that if I don't give it a go, I will never find out the answer to that. I have been thinking about this for some time - too long - and need to actually get on and do it.
I am wary of doing any work that I am not qualified to do - most definitely am not, and do not want to be known as, a cowboy. Reputation means a lot to me. Made sure I got C&G2377 before I started and have already invested in decent kit. Am very confident of my ability to tackle the practical side of electrical work, and am learning all the time about the technicalities (one of the reasons I am on these forums).
in the same boat mate, done a few little jobs and retraining with olci , good luck anyway

Reply to Trying to get started in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net