Discuss TT issues with new house in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
We have just moved into a house built in the 90's. So, I'm a retired electrician and was confused by the 4 x TT rods all connected within a metre of each other on one side on the house. I dont have any expensive test kit any more, but when I connected an electric fence energiser to the house earth I only got 1000v instead of the 7000+v. when I ran a test earth independent of the TT system I got the full voltage. I decided to put in a new 3/8 rod and therein lies the problem. The house is surrounded by rubble and you can hammer in a rod and then literally just pull it out again by hand. Nearest proper soil is 15m from the house. Any suggestions would be gratefully received. Ta.

4 rods would suggest that they struggled to get an acceptable reading from just the single one. BUT regardless if I were looking to install a rod and it was next to the house which is all rubble etc then id imagine my only real option would be to 1st dig out a hole then knock in rods with extensions on them until I hit "good" earth. Be careful of incoming services though. Possibly use the 1st earth rod and add extensions onto that while driving it further into the ground.

I think a proper test of the rods would be in order. Is there any previous paperwork showing the Ze?
Thanks for your suggestion DPG. No paperwork at all. The previous owner was 16th an d did the wiring himself. Im guessing the Ze reading would be poor. The house is surrounded by rubble so I guess its a matter of resiting the rod and running the earth even if its som 15m?

4 rods would suggest that they struggled to get an acceptable reading from just the single one. BUT regardless if I were looking to install a rod and it was next to the house which is all rubble etc then id imagine my only real option would be to 1st dig out a hole then knock in rods with extensions on them until I hit "good" earth. Be careful of incoming services though. Possibly use the 1st earth rod and add extensions onto that while driving it further into the ground.
That sounds like a plan. the rod is meaty enough to take driving into the ground. I know from using the digger that the rubble is at least 2m deep. Im trying to remember if there is a distance limitation from the house to site a rod (V drop) do you think its feasable to run an earth cable 15m to good soil? appreciate your suggestion Diddly, thanks.

Can you speak to the DNO and see if it’s possible for them to upgrade your service an PME / TNC-S your earthing arrangement.

My mates done a load of building work
At his place and needed the service head moving. He originally had a TT arrangement supplied by overhead lines. The DNO PME’d it when they moved the service head. May be able to do the same with yours.

Can you speak to the DNO and see if it’s possible for them to upgrade your service an PME / TNC-S your earthing arrangement.

My mates done a load of building work
At his place and needed the service head moving. He originally had a TT arrangement supplied by overhead lines. The DNO PME’d it when they moved the service head. May be able to do the same with yours.
Its a good thought. Its an odd supply arrangement here. Meter box is (vaguely) attached to a mobile home then run through to the house 30m away. The meter is 130m away from the nearest supply pole - but its a good idea and wont hurt to ask. Thanks JBW

Linian make some very handy accessories here. One is a rod-tip that is basically a masonry drill:
And they do a matching SDS driver to make it easier to drive in:

If you can get 8' in (two 4' rods with coupler) generally you get better results as ground tends to retain moisture lower down. However, if it really is dry rocky stuff all the way you might want to consider a trench to somewhere that has soil for a rod with better chance of success.

I haven't used the tips are they any good? Roughly how much?
I haven't either, my last set of rods were M16 threaded stainless and I cut an tip using an angle grinder and then used a SDS adaptor and 1/2" drive stud nut runner to drive the thing in:

They seem to cost about £20 each so not cheap, but ideal for stony or otherwise hard ground where the usual steel with copper cladding is just a bit too soft to be driven in the hard way.

Linian make some very handy accessories here. One is a rod-tip that is basically a masonry drill:
And they do a matching SDS driver to make it easier to drive in:

If you can get 8' in (two 4' rods with coupler) generally you get better results as ground tends to retain moisture lower down. However, if it really is dry rocky stuff all the way you might want to consider a trench to somewhere that has soil for a rod with better chance of success.
Thanks for your advice. will get this bit and maybe have to hunt around for some more solid ground. When I was running my electrical business I vaguely remember you used to be able to buy something like a clay to goa around the rod - will have to have a look...........

Thanks for your advice. will get this bit and maybe have to hunt around for some more solid ground. When I was running my electrical business I vaguely remember you used to be able to buy something like a clay to goa around the rod - will have to have a look...........

Bentonite I think it's called.

Reply to TT issues with new house in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net