Discuss Two NICEIC installers failed to spot the lack of earth in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Registered is the key word, of course.

Maybe these days it's just stick to R Electrician.
It always has been R Archangel........coz only god can 'lay a finger' on the architect.
Resident is the key word for Resident Engineer and Resident Architect they where the people on site to ensure the building was constructed in accordance with the design, in the day's of the RE and RA it was a requirement of becoming qualified to have spent at least six months on a project to learn the practical building methods, not just the design carried out in the office, this unfortunately does not happen anymore and I think construction is worse off for it.

And a lot of those aren't worth the paper they are written / printed on
How does anyone lower their standards to get into these schemes

The former is very easy to prove who the rightful owner is. The latter, nearly impossible. May as well go in your own pocket rather than the bank's
The legal way to do it would be to hand it in to a police station, then if it's not claimed within 28 days then it's yours.
What would I do? , would depend on the time of day, costa, or Burger King :)

The legal way to do it would be to hand it in to a police station, then if it's not claimed within 28 days then it's yours.
What would I do? , would depend on the time of day, costa, or Burger King :)
Why would you hand it in to Costa or Burger King?
And what's the time of day got to do with the price of cornflakes? Is it because the police station is closed?

And what's the time of day got to do with the price of cornflakes? Is it because the police station is closed?
I wouldn't eat a Burger King in the morning, but I do like a costa coffee, and neither of them are free.

Cop shop? 5 miles to my nearest....used to be 500 yards.
They're cost cut shutting everywhere.............except Costa, Burger King, etc..of course.
Local bank's an ATM now.

Last edited:
I don't think its a failure of the system, nor the bodies employed for the system, its more to do with the honesty of the individuals carrying out work.
I disagree.
While the primary cause is lying scum - the thing that lets them get away with it is the failure of the scams to police standards. When registered contractors can do substandard work or miss blatant faults when inspecting, and the scams do nothing about it, then there's precious little holding up standards across the industry. It will be interesting to see what happens with the two involved in missing the lack of earthing and lying about what testing/inspection they've done - my money is "nothing at all" :rolleyes:

Cop shop? 5 miles to my nearest....used to be 500 yards.
They're cost cut shutting everywhere.............except Costa, Burger King, etc..of course.
Local bank's an ATM now.
At the local police station by me they closed the custody suite and now take anyone arrested to another police station about 15 miles away the PCC say it saves just around £630k per year somebody has recently costed all the police time lost in tranporting them to another police station when they could be policing the local area and local officers traveling to interview them and it is believed to be costing somewhere in the region of £1.3m people are trying to understand where the saving is

At the local police station by me they closed the custody suite and now take anyone arrested to another police station about 15 miles away the PCC say it saves just around £630k per year somebody has recently costed all the police time lost in tranporting them to another police station when they could be policing the local area and local officers traveling to interview them and it is believed to be costing somewhere in the region of £1.3m people are trying to understand where the saving is
Crazy! They probably save by paying less work persons and renting out or selling off prime land properties.
Rubbish, short term budgeting, probably.

Custody suites requirements have changed over the course of time. Just to have a couple of cells, and someone checking on prisoners every couple of hours is insufficient now, has been for some years now. Isn't viable for every nick to have a custody suite. When a police officer arrests someone, in takes them out of the system for a couple of hours anyway. The only cost is the time transporting, that is swallowed up by ground rents etc, custody officers, medical person etc etc.

I disagree.
While the primary cause is lying scum - the thing that lets them get away with it is the failure of the scams to police standards. When registered contractors can do substandard work or miss blatant faults when inspecting, and the scams do nothing about it, then there's precious little holding up standards across the industry. It will be interesting to see what happens with the two involved in missing the lack of earthing and lying about what testing/inspection they've done - my money is "nothing at all" :rolleyes:
I can’t disagree with your point of the schemes not doing something about transgressors, but are the majority not ‘law abiding‘ members? So it does something to uphold standards to a point.

IF someone like "Watchdog" took a look at the industry and did a really good 1 hour special showing how pathetic it is .Perhaps we might see a much better control and policing of issues in the Electrical and gas world .

Last time I saw something relating to electrical work on Watchdog it recommended that people should use an NIC registered company so that there would be no risk of a bad job!

Custody suites requirements have changed over the course of time. Just to have a couple of cells, and someone checking on prisoners every couple of hours is insufficient now, has been for some years now. Isn't viable for every nick to have a custody suite. When a police officer arrests someone, in takes them out of the system for a couple of hours anyway. The only cost is the time transporting, that is swallowed up by ground rents etc, custody officers, medical person etc etc.
You take a very simplistic and isolated cost justification in an attempt to justify closing custody suites and not every police station has had a custody suite for many many years. The custody suites were generally only at the main divisional police stations for many years and this is now moving to one or two custody suites for whole force areas. A couple of hours to process an arrest is now taking 2 or 3 times that so most of an officers shift is lost
Once investigating officers have to travel to interview a suspect at a remote custody suite the costs start to escalate as I said in my previous post making savings in one way is massively increasing costs in another, savings and inefficiencies never seem to be looked at when making some of these decisions
IF someone like "Watchdog" took a look at the industry and did a really good 1 hour special showing how pathetic it is .Perhaps we might see a much better control and policing of issues in the Electrical and gas world .
Watchdog only perpetuates this myth that using a registered contractor is your guarantee of good workmanship and continually promotes the NICEIC so I doubt them doing any investigation
Last time I saw something relating to electrical work on Watchdog it recommended that people should use an NIC registered company so that there would be no risk of a bad job!
I saw that one, made me chuckle at the time

You take a very simplistic and isolated cost justification in an attempt to justify closing custody suites and not every police station has had a custody suite for many many years. The custody suites were generally only at the main divisional police stations for many years and this is now moving to one or two custody suites for whole force areas. A couple of hours to process an arrest is now taking 2 or 3 times that so most of an officers shift is lost
Once investigating officers have to travel to interview a suspect at a remote custody suite the costs start to escalate as I said in my previous post making savings in one way is massively increasing costs in another, savings and inefficiencies never seem to be looked at when making some of these decisions

Watchdog only perpetuates this myth that using a registered contractor is your guarantee of good workmanship and continually promotes the NICEIC so I doubt them doing any investigation

I saw that one, made me chuckle at the time
We are going off topic but In my police force area, custody suites are geographically located to the main towns and cities. Oxford for example used to have a custody suite, now closed. As are a lot of front desks.
The time lost is down to other things, other than travelling for half an hour or so.

We are going off topic but In my police force area, custody suites are geographically located to the main towns and cities. Oxford for example used to have a custody suite, now closed. As are a lot of front desks.
The time lost is down to other things, other than travelling for half an hour or so.
It's getting bloody ridiculous, these days.........nowhere to have a decent nights kip after good night on the pop....

My eldest used to sleep under parked cars.
Doesn't sound very clever, what if someone drives off before they can wake up and get out ?

Having said that, apparently back in the days of steam, one of the fireman's checks first thing was to check there wasn't anyone sleeping in the firebox. On the big engines, this was a surprisingly large space (up to 14 feet long !) and it wasn't uncommon for people to crawl in as a nice warm space to sleep. Apparently there were more than a few cases where they weren't noticed before lighting up 😱

Reply to Two NICEIC installers failed to spot the lack of earth in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net