Discuss Two NICEIC installers failed to spot the lack of earth in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

So I've just sent off a complaint to the NICEIC (they are listed as a domestic installer) concerning the EICR that was issued for the property I was working on. I've attached the EICR (Ze included) they issued and the UKPN notification that the property has no earth. I will update you when I get a response.

I am in the process of getting the details for the other property.

Btw NICEIC don't make it easy to complain, do they? Download and fill out a PDF that then has to be emailed to a specific address. Why not you know... just have an online complaints form?
I first tried complaining to them about a members fantasies regarding installation particulars before there even was a part P and all that, didn't get far.

Its a peculiar dissonance between the a-ho assessor who seems to want to catch me out and school me every year and the response you get as joe public with a complaint. But yeah, there is TONS of drive-by false EICR's going on, and the way aforementioned assessor squirms and informs me that this is in fact some "variability" that needs "education" is pathetic.

BTW UKPN are terrible - took half a year to get them to attend site on an earth failure to a block of flats I had in hampstead, then the guy just PME'd it and waltzed off, no other checks of any kind. A more recent one they just point blank refused to come out until the client submitted an EICR, then the following day the earth mysteriously came back down from ~1.5 to 0.3 ohms! Ultimately though, the most you'll get from them is they'll replace their rotten 80 year old cable to the street (after you've done all the hard work installing duct for them) and charge you about 10 grand to sling a cable down it. And thats only if you're babysitting them and able to refute their "snags" that incur penalty cancellation charges and threats/attempts to leave client with no power...

Last edited:
Good morning Joseph,

Thank you for your email below.

I can confirm that we have forwarded through your complaint for an internal investigation against the contractor however due to confidentiality clauses with all memberships, we cannot provide the outcome of the investigation as some may affect a contractors membership.

If you have any questions please do not hesitate to contact me on the details below.

Kind regards, XXXX
Upon asking for an update with regards to my complaint this is what I received. What do we think my next steps should be?

Had dealings with the NICEIC twice in the last six months about two installs done by two different tos$pots....They just dont want to know which makes them tos$pots also

Btw NICEIC don't make it easy to complain, do they? Download and fill out a PDF that then has to be emailed to a specific address. Why not you know... just have an online complaints form?

To be fair not sure that's just about avoiding complaints - their entire online system for their members is a mess of various things stuck together with packing tape from what I can tell whenever I try to find something.

They push us having complaints procedures and check that each year, but don't seem set up to deal with issues from third parties directly to them.

I have heard of them getting members back out to correct issues, but would be interested to know how many they actually cancel each year.

It's always a problem when you have private schemes that charge money for membership, as the incentive is not to lose their cash cow - and any bad press seems not to make enough impact on their bottom line to get them to do anything.

What should have happened was that electricians went towards some sort of CORGI like scheme, nationally registered with a single body, with proper independent oversight.

Then the entire industry could work together to improve standards across the board.... What a novel and completely idealistic idea!

A Government run scheme would have to be overseen by the HSE who are not set up to administer electrical installations, jobs for the boys come to mind, to set up such an organisation would take months of planning and special committees to prepare a report on how to set it up, then recruitment would start from within the Civil Service, first class honours degree a minimum standard overseen by a minister, but then the most essential part is setting up a committee to name the department, that would take at least a couple of years, any suggestions? I would go for Committee Responsible for Administration of Power Supplies or C.R.A.P.S.

Upon asking for an update with regards to my complaint this is what I received. What do we think my next steps should be?
Had dealings with the NICEIC twice in the last six months about two installs done by two different tos$pots....They just dont want to know which makes them tos$pots also
As the NICEIC are a UKAS accredited organisation I would elevate the complaint to UKAS , at the bottom of the contact us page "I have a complaint or wish to give feedback about UKAS or one of UKAS’ accredited organisations" which gives phone and email contact details

Maybe it needs the UKAS assessment people to ask questions of the NICEIC I don't see how you can have a complaints procedure and not inform the person making the complaint whether the complaint is upheld or not. To sight confidentiality as a reason for not informing the outcome of a complaint is a bit of a poor and weak excuse when any complaint involves not only the reputation or lack of that the contractor has shown but also that of the NICEIC as they are the ones who have assessed the contractors competence
I just wonder how many more nails are needed before the NICEIC is dead and buried as a once respected organisation you can't live on your past reputation when the industry is now going to the dogs on the back of making a quick buck and no doubt a pay bonus for those running it

Reply to Two NICEIC installers failed to spot the lack of earth in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net