Discuss Ukpn jointing careers in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

R

Roc

Hi there, I have recently been looking into the experienced trainee schemes at uk power networks for cable jointers and linesman. I have searched for in depth info on the jobs but can't seem to find much info on them. So I thought I would enquire on here if anyone can give any detailed info about the job of jointing? Like what's involved in a days work, hours, conditions, what are the guys generally like to work with etc just generally if it's a good career move to take. I currently work in the fire alarm sector by the way but am considering looking into this line if work. Cheers for any information.

By virtue of where cables and joints are and when they need doing and when they fail;

Be prepared to work out in all weather conditions at all hours of day or night and weekend and Bank Holidays.
Also be prepared to work in the middle of fields or in various depth muddy holes.

On the plus you may occassionally get to joint inside nice warm enclosed substations.

In other words completely the opposite conditions to alarms.

I trained as a jointer. Not to work for the power companies but on our private 11KV network.

It can be great, in a hole in the middle of a field on a warm sunny day*. The same hole in winter is hell on earth! You’re shouting at your mate to keep bailing the water out.
The downside now with the advent of cold fill compounds you don’t have the fire devils for the frying pan.

After initial training you will start on LV as a jointers mate. More training and you progress to jointer, keep in mind 9 times out of 10 you will be working live. If you want to go further then it’s back to the training centre to become a mate again but now on MV. More training and you’re ticketed for certain joints. Each type of joint = time in the training centre.
One thing drummed in to me by EMEB as it was then, never trust the word of an engineer. Cut a HV cable, not on your life until a spike has been fired through it. I had a foreman’s AP ticket revoked for ordering me to cut an unidentified cable. It’s also how I got to be an AP.

*One of the best jobs ever. Nice warm weather, four 11KV through joints (one a day) in a Derbyshire upland meadow. The farmer was an old family friend so would show up with fresh eggs, field mushrooms, home cured bacon and home made oatcakes and sausage. He would sit with us for breakfast. Funny how the foreman would show up at that point.

Thanks for the reply, it doesn't bother me working outside to be honest done plenty of it before my current position. Is it normally worked as permanent nights or on shift rotas? Am I right in assuming public holidays are worked as we'll?

son in law is a jointer in west Yorkshire did his training elsewhere so not reconised in this area so had to do a jointers mate job for a while then do another exam. Pay is good works mainly days but on call anytime even bank holls

Thanks for the reply, it doesn't bother me working outside to be honest done plenty of it before my current position. Is it normally worked as permanent nights or on shift rotas? Am I right in assuming public holidays are worked as we'll?

Local DNO it is normal days and then on the standby rota. Public holidays off unless on standby then you get day in lieu and good money.

I trained as a jointer as an addition to my job, to be honest I don’t think I’d want to be doing it day in day out.

The first time a cable is made live the sphincter is twitching. Our SAP would chuck me the keys to the OCB, “it’s your work. You switch it on.”
The idle sod didn’t want to rack the breaker in would be more like it.

"one of the best jobs ever..........."

those rose tinted glasses must be an inch thick T , lol.

i did it for years in the highways electrical sector and can catagorically confirm it sucks big time , period.

forget tonys reminicing over doing the odd joint in the summer months when he can choose when and how the works done , you'll have no such luxury.

what you will have is a sore back from being bent over for hours in a small muddy hole.
and the work isnt particually diverse either once the rather limited attraction of seeing an old PILC cable wears off , which is rather quickly.
coming from an indoor job straight to jointing is a big ask in my experience.

Thanks Tony and Biff, both of you have just answered a few of my questions. I've got my foot in the door of a national company and thinking which path to take atm.

Edit:- Forgot Snowhead, cheers :smile:

and the work isnt particually diverse either once the rather limited attraction of seeing an old PILC cable wears off , which is rather quickly.

Similar for me on a Chem site once, the first year doing the rounds was great, loads of new stuff etc etc...
Then we started going over the same old things, hmmm, time to move on!

Some of my mates are jointers and they are much better off for it , but you have to be out in all weather though , usually on building sites , to be honest I would rather that than house bashing though , and it would be good to see that side of things though , A few years ago there were Ads in all the major newspapers for jointers with big earning potential ,,

"one of the best jobs ever..........."

those rose tinted glasses must be an inch thick T , lol.

i did it for years in the highways electrical sector and can catagorically confirm it sucks big time , period.

forget tonys reminicing over doing the odd joint in the summer months when he can choose when and how the works done , you'll have no such luxury.

what you will have is a sore back from being bent over for hours in a small muddy hole.
coming from an indoor job straight to jointing is a big ask in my experience.

I’ve spent more than my fair share of time in muddy holes. That job was nice to do and I enjoyed it.

As for choosing when we would do the work, that’s dictated by when a cable goes bang.

I really don’t think you can compare piddling little LV cables to mauling your guts out on 11KV 0.3”² PILC DWA. There’s also the skill level to take in to account and the consequences of it going wrong.
I’d swap with you any day.

I’ve spent more than my fair share of time in muddy holes. That job was nice to do and I enjoyed it.

As for choosing when we would do the work, that’s dictated by when a cable goes bang.

I really don’t think you can compare piddling little LV cables to mauling your guts out on 11KV 0.3”² PILC DWA. There’s also the skill level to take in to account and the consequences of it going wrong.

maybe , but a hole is a hole and a cable is a cable no matter which way you wanna cut it.
though its nearly 10 years since i did that kinda work i dont miss it , building sites are much more fun :)

Thanks for the replies guys! Fairly mixed opinions unsurprisingly I suppose! Does anyone know what Ukpn are like to work for as a company? You know things such as pay, fairness, what the management is like, opportunities, or are they just another bolt up company getting their pound of flesh and then some? Would think a large company such as that would be great but past experience of large firms has taught me otherwise!! Any opinions and views?

I know a few old jointers who served their apprentiships as plumbers before getting jobs at the Electricity board. The skill required for soldering was useful in the old cable joints where the connections were sweated ferrules and the end of the lead cable was plumbed to the end box by wiping solder from a moleskin onto the plumb. Each jointer had a mate who dug the hole got all the gear ready, looked after the solder bucket and made sure the compound was ready. Jointer just jointed, it was nearly a shirt and tie job. Proper craftsman job. It's easier now with shear off connectors and two pack resin compound.

There’s something satisfying about doing a lead wipe. Dressing the sleeve took time and patience to beat down from 4” to around 2”.

When it’s belting down with rain and mud is coming under the sides of the tent, I could think of better places to be.

Reply to Ukpn jointing careers in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net