Discuss Upgrading my garage supply. in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

My apologies I don't use this forum very often and I think ive hit "quote in conversation" rather than reply.
My mistake sorry.
I just wanted to tidy up the install and provide separate circuits to wire from in the garage rather than the all on the 13amp spur in the house.
It would just seem wrong to me to be wiring the sockets from the incoming side and lights from the load side of the fused spur in the garage.
Forget costs and time, I have these at my disposal.
Other than having 2 x RCD's in series (I understand both or either could trip) am I not improving the install by providing MCB protection in the garage.
I am electrically trained a long time ago on industrial kit and have never done domestic regs, so I was searching to find out if:-
a. The builder should've earthed the armoured at one or both ends?
b. Should he have provided DP isolation on the outgoing external supply?

The install doesn't easily allow for replacement of the armoured with 2.5 or to take straight to the house CU.
I'm trying to make the best of a poor job.

Mr Freeze, what do you intend to use the garage for and the load requirements?

Apart from the usual circuit design constraints, I can't see why not it is all from a fused spur limiting to 13A can have as many sockets as he likes for convenience.
Not working today Ant?

I just wanted to tidy up the install and provide separate circuits to wire from in the garage rather than the all on the 13amp spur in the house.

But what you suggest will still be wired to the 13A spur in the house.... or have I missed something.

Having the day off to do Christmas shopping !!!!!!!! well, I better got off from here and do some then wish me luck.

Don't forget to get me a 3TB external hard drive... best pal, buddy of mine...

Your focusing on the wrong things.
I want sockets where they suit my requirements, as in a couple above a bench, one double at each corner of the garage for convenience etc.
I'm not growing weed in my garage and wont be running effing big grow lamps!
I'm aware I have 13amps to use.
Its not easy to upgrade the supply so I have to live with what I've got.
I just want to make sure what the builder put in is right or if not confirm its wrong and I will pursue them (you have 2 years to do this).
Also what I plan to do has no issues to current regs.
That is all.

Actually his input was constructive if you ask me, and as yet you've ignored my earlier response.

As for new builds, they are typically built with many issues .... Trying to get a builder to resolve is almost impossible.

Murdoch, with the greatest of respect you have failed to answer my original question, other than raising pointless questions that have no bearing.
Don't worry about whether I can manage to get the builders to sort it, that's my problem and I've not failed yet.
Just confirm or deny whether they have done anything against regs, that's all I asked originally.
After that, comment on if I'm doing anything wrong in the garage other than spending my money and time on what theoretically I don't need to do?

Your focusing on the wrong things.
I want sockets where they suit my requirements, as in a couple above a bench, one double at each corner of the garage for convenience etc.
I'm not growing weed in my garage and wont be running effing big grow lamps!
I'm aware I have 13amps to use.
Its not easy to upgrade the supply so I have to live with what I've got.
I just want to make sure what the builder put in is right or if not confirm its wrong and I will pursue them (you have 2 years to do this).
Also what I plan to do has no issues to current regs.
That is all.

With your 13amp supply, you can have as many sockets lights etc as you want. Think that's already been said? The FCU, is probably good idea to have a DP switch, but I don't think there's a requirement for it within BS7671. Your fused spur can easily be replaced with a switched fused connection unit

Your focusing on the wrong things

But you are contradicting yourself. Initially you are asking if the FCU in the house should be switched and the next you are stating "I just wanted to tidy up the install and provide separate circuits to wire from in the garage rather than the all on the 13amp spur in the house."

The SWA has been answered.
The house FCU has now been answered.
The 2 RCD's in series is really bad design.... It sounds like you are happy to have a bad design, as long as it works.
How about getting a garage CU without an RCD fitted.........

It would just seem wrong to me to be wiring the sockets from the incoming side and lights from the load side of the fused spur in the garage.

Other than having 2 x RCD's in series (I understand both or either could trip) am I not improving the install by providing MCB protection in the garage.

a. The builder should've earthed the armoured at one or both ends?
b. Should he have provided DP isolation on the outgoing external supply?

There is nothing wrong with this as the feed in to the garage is fused at 13A already.

2 RCDs in series makes it very hard for you to test the RCD tripping times when you carry out the essential tests before putting your new work in to use.

The additional MCBs won’t make any improvement as the current protection is correct, however they will have no practical negative effect on the installation.

Yes the armour should be earthed at least at one end, preferably the supply end.
No DP isolation is not normally required.

Reply to Upgrading my garage supply. in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net