Discuss Using an 1800W US appliance in the UK in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

sc2987

-
Reaction score
I want a Breville Smart Oven Air: the Smart Oven Air® - https://www.breville.com/us/en/products/ovens/bov900.html

But they only seem to be available from countries which use 110-120V. It's 1800W.

Is the only option a huge transformer, and if so what specification would I need? And would running it for long periods of time (e.g. when using the dehydrating function) or at the top end of its power demand be an issue in that case?

Or is it possible to get a US socket fitted in my home, and if so how would that compare price-wise to the transformer? I mean I assume it would basically be a transformer, but hidden in the wall.

Or are there any other ways of doing it? Pros and cons of any of the options welcome.

You have to be careful. USA works on 60Hz where the UK works on 50Hz. (as well as the voltage change)
There is nothing in the spec that says it can or can not work on 50Hz.
You will have to contact the company again and ask about using their product here in the UK.

You have to be careful. USA works on 60Hz where the UK works on 50Hz. (as well as the voltage change)
There is nothing in the spec that says it can or can not work on 50Hz.
You will have to contact the company again and ask about using their product here in the UK.
So a transformer can't change the frequency too? It wasn't Breville I asked, it was Sage. But I suspect Breville would be non-committal and not want to guarantee me anything. And I can't spend that much just in case it works.

So a transformer can't change the frequency too? It wasn't Breville I asked, it was Sage. But I suspect Breville would be non-committal and not want to guarantee me anything. And I can't spend that much just in case it works.

You can buy frequency converters, but I think they are expensive.
You will most probably spend more money buying the equipment to convert the supply for your oven than you pay for it. If you are rich then look into it.

Well according to this they won't

A Breville BOV800XL Smart Oven 1800-Watt Review Won't Answer These 31 Questions - Part 9 of 21 - https://stop-dont-buy.myshopify.com/products/a-breville-bov800xl-smart-oven-1800-watt-review-wont-answer-these-31-questions-part-9-of-21

I've been reading more about this. Am I right in thinking it's only the fan that could be affected by the frequency difference? Since it's the only part that would be using a motor? So if it's AC it would run at 5/6ths the speed it should, and if it's DC it wouldn't be affected?

This is a part from a similar model; how can I tell if it's AC or DC?
Fan Motor Assembly [SP0010500] for Breville Appliance | eReplacement Parts - https://www.ereplacementparts.com/fan-motor-assembly-p-1857917.html

And even if it's AC, does it matter that it will be fanning slightly slower? Presumably it is only about air distribution within the cavity, which shouldn't make too much difference in a relatively small space, as the temperature will still be controlled according to sensors and the thermostat.

Hi,

Just wanted to ask if you did end up getting the oven? I’m pretty much in the same boat you are, except I actually bought the oven then realised i needed the transformer ‍♀️
After reading much about it and actually buying a transformer that shorted as soon I switched it on, i’m really hoping for some advice/good news!

Hi,

Just wanted to ask if you did end up getting the oven? I’m pretty much in the same boat you are, except I actually bought the oven then realised i needed the transformer ‍♀️
After reading much about it and actually buying a transformer that shorted as soon I switched it on, i’m really hoping for some advice/good news!
What transformer did you buy.

What is the primary and secondary voltages.

Seems a decent enough transformer.

Did it short out whenever you connected the microwave, or did it short out with nothing connected.

And when you say short out.

What exactly do you mean....

Did it go bang?

Did it trip your house sockets etc.

Seems a decent enough transformer.

Did it short out whenever you connected the microwave, or did it short out with nothing connected.

And when you say short out.

What exactly do you mean....

Did it go bang?

Did it trip your house sockets etc.

I switched it on with nothing connected at first and it seemed to work fine. Then when i tried connecting the oven it tripped the on/off switch on the transformer itself and there was spark.
Is it possible the 3000W weren’t enough to match the 1800W capacity of the oven?

Hi - sorry to say but the fault could be in the transformer or your oven. Is the transformer still working at all? Is it plugged into a wall outlet - if so, maybe check plug’s 13A fuse is still ok.

Last edited:
Hi - sorry to say but the fault could be in the transformer or your oven. Is the transformer still working at all? Is it plugged into a wall outlet - if so, maybe check plug’s 13A fuse is still ok.

Alright so, funny thing happened: i tested the transformer in a couple of outlets outside the kitchen and it worked fine. Not working in any of the outlets in the kitchen... any possible explanation for that?

Alright so, funny thing happened: i tested the transformer in a couple of outlets outside the kitchen and it worked fine. Not working in any of the outlets in the kitchen... any possible explanation for that?
Hi - likely kitchen outlet circuit has tripped. Go to fuse board and look for one switch that’s in the off position. Hopefully it will click back on. Confirm outlets now working with a lamp or kettle etc. Report back :) .

Hi - likely kitchen outlet circuit has tripped. Go to fuse board and look for one switch that’s in the off position. Hopefully it will click back on. Confirm outlets now working with a lamp or kettle etc. Report back :) .

Hi,

Nothing in the fuse box has tripped, it’s just the breaker on the transformer.

Reply to Using an 1800W US appliance in the UK in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net