Discuss We all have to start somewhere, so here we go... in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

10eighty

Hi all,
thought this would be the best place for my first post!
I have spent many hours reading through various forums and posts as I am new to the trade and appreciate the views and opinions of those who are time served.

I have to tread carefully here as I have come across a lot of negativity towards us career changers but as the post says we all have to start somewhere!

I have just completed a 6 week course at Technique Training in Chetserfield, Yes, Yes, before you all say it, it is one of those intensive certificate collectors courses!
Jokes aside I don't have a bad word to say about the quality of training I received, I know there are an awful lot of theses training centers out there who just want your money and promise you the world, Believe me I have visited many of them. But there was no sales pitch, no hidden agenda, no pressure, just good honest advice and support throughout the entire course.

Anyway, to the point of my post, Having now completed my course I by no means claim to be any kind of electrician however I have gained a very good base knowledge and foundation to head out into the real world and gain some good old hands on experience.

I am based in Kent and looking to spend some time working alongside and experienced electrician who doesn't mind giving some guidance to a mature apprentice. I am 30 years old, easy going but damn hard working. This is probably a shot in the dark and as I said before I have read a lot of negative post on this but as the saying goes you don't ask, you don't get!

Cheers

Welcome (skol) 1080 (i think that's where you've got your name from, great drink).

By the sounds of things you've got your head screwed on and not in a dream world that believes doing a short course alone us enough to be a competent spark. Have fun and enjoy, and good luck.

Welcome (skol) 1080 (i think that's where you've got your name from, great drink).

By the sounds of things you've got your head screwed on and not in a dream world that believes doing a short course alone us enough to be a competent spark. Have fun and enjoy, and good luck.

Cheers, Paul.m, like you say there are a lot of dreamers out there who really do think after 6 weeks they are ready to buy a van, order 90% of the screwfix catalogue and set to work!

For me a I'm in this for the long run and really wan to make a proper go of it and I appreciate that takes time AND experience. Unfortunately a 2 year college course wasn't an option for me and thankfully I found a decent training provider to get me off the starting blocks!

Hi & welcome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.

Welcome along, who was your training provider?

I did a Tec30 course with Technique Training in Chesterfield. Would defo recommend if your not in a position to go to college for two years or if your a bit too old for the apprenticeship route. Its not going to make you a parky in 6 weeks but its a great place to start and get your electrical theory etc up to speed.

welcome along and all the best. there are lots of different ways to become competent within the industry and with your attitude, commitment and some hands on with a decent electrician im sure you will do fine.

Hello and welcome.

I did my 16th at technique Training years ago. I agree they are a very good outfit, and you used to get lunch, tea and coffee chucked in as well.

Cheers.........Howard

Welcome along am I welcoming a fellow man from Kent or are one of those Kentish Men :D

I wish you well though not sure the entire forum is negative about 6 week courses, I think a lot of us realise that they are far from perfect and promise the student which in todays enviroment is pretty much impossible to achieve.

The harsh reality is your 6 week course will not get you a job within the electrical industry, employers will have perhaps minimum 15 to 20 CV's for any job vacancy and they can afford to pick and choose. So you will be going up against "time served" guys with qualifications superior to yours and experience.

This leave you what your were trained for a domestic installer. I don't know where your based in gods county, but where I'am there are perhaps 10 or 13 domestic installers, and that does not include the full electrical contractors, who are now hitting the domestic market as well.

I hate to paint such a pessimisitc picture for you and hope that things will be a lot better for you. Your attitude commends you and I hope you succeed

Reply to We all have to start somewhere, so here we go... in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net