Discuss What is your take on this please. in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
1. New client contacts me and asks for an EICR. - Quote given and accepted, EICR performed, defects found, advice given.
2. Draft EICR issued as quotation accepted for remedial works, (Note:- If he had not accepted quotation, I would have issued a mastered EICR, and then A.N.Other could have completed his works)
3. Remedial works completed, whilst on site due to ongoing decoration, they broke a wall fan and asked me to replace, which I did.
4. All works completed, invoices (for remedial and extra work) issued, await payment with payment terms.
5. 50% of one invoice paid, 0% of other invoice paid. Then I receive an email stating upon receipt of the finalised EICR he will pay the remaining 50% and 100% of the outstanding invoices.
6. I did not agree to part payment for any work and/or invoices.
7. I stated that once I had received his payment in full, I would issue his mastered and satisfactory certificate. He thinks otherwise and states he is within his rights to with hold payment as he has no guarantee I will issue a certificate, my response was I have no guarantee that he will pay once he has the certificate.

Where do I stand on this one?

1. New client contacts me and asks for an EICR. - Quote given and accepted, EICR performed, defects found, advice given.
2. Draft EICR issued as quotation accepted for remedial works, (Note:- If he had not accepted quotation, I would have issued a mastered EICR, and then A.N.Other could have completed his works)
3. Remedial works completed, whilst on site due to ongoing decoration, they broke a wall fan and asked me to replace, which I did.
4. All works completed, invoices (for remedial and extra work) issued, await payment with payment terms.
5. 50% of one invoice paid, 0% of other invoice paid. Then I receive an email stating upon receipt of the finalised EICR he will pay the remaining 50% and 100% of the outstanding invoices.
6. I did not agree to part payment for any work and/or invoices.
7. I stated that once I had received his payment in full, I would issue his mastered and satisfactory certificate. He thinks otherwise and states he is within his rights to with hold payment as he has no guarantee I will issue a certificate, my response was I have no guarantee that he will pay once he has the certificate.

If he's been burnt before I could maybe see some reason to agree in advance that some would be withheld before the certificate was issued (though 50% sounds too much), but if the second was for the remedial works that were quoted and agreed, then I would not consider that reasonable at all.

However, there is probably nothing you can do apart from as @littlespark suggests, which would then give you a very clear case to proceed with legal action (small claims court I'd guess) if he didn't follow his stated intentions.

If you have clear terms and conditions in your quotations etc then you would be within your rights to demand more payment before issuing the certificate, but whether it's worth the hassle is up to you.

Maybe you could issue the certificate with a 'draft' or similar watermark across it if your software allows that, so that he can see it exists, but might struggle to use it for it's intended purpose to show anyone else (assuming it's for PRS scheme).

If he's been burnt before I could maybe see some reason to agree in advance that some would be withheld before the certificate was issued (though 50% sounds too much), but if the second was for the remedial works that were quoted and agreed, then I would not consider that reasonable at all.

However, there is probably nothing you can do apart from as @littlespark suggests, which would then give you a very clear case to proceed with legal action (small claims court I'd guess) if he didn't follow his stated intentions.

If you have clear terms and conditions in your quotations etc then you would be within your rights to demand more payment before issuing the certificate, but whether it's worth the hassle is up to you.

Maybe you could issue the certificate with a 'draft' or similar watermark across it if your software allows that, so that he can see it exists, but might struggle to use it for it's intended purpose to show anyone else (assuming it's for PRS scheme).
Which is exactly what I do, issue a draft, agree (If im doing them) the remedial, then once he has paid up issue a mastered certificate.

I always provide the master to my clients regardless of whether the invoice has been paid. It is all about trust at the end of the day and if you go down the route of withholding certs due to waiting on payment, it leaves a sour taste in the mouth of the client as they feel you are not trusting of them to pay. Don't get me wrong, there are some unscrupulous people out there who are willing to not pay but you have to use your instinct on that one.

I have never not been paid (I've had very late payers though but that's a different story).

It's all a learning experience at the end of the day and you will get burned one day but it's all part of the messy thing they call life.

I dont get why some sparks are holding reports back intil they receive payment, its just going to get peoples backs up! If they dont pay its not the end of the world. Do your job send invoice and eicr at price agreed. Ive not had 1 not pay to date.

I was advised a few years ago by an NICEIC assessor that handing over certificates is a contractual matter and they can/should be held until payment is received (having made this clear befire starting).

An EICR however is a report and would be issued prior to receiving payment as the job is to produce the report.

You seem to be mixing up two different sets of paperwork here.
The EICR should be issued once it is complete along with the invoice and quote for the remedial work. The job you are being paid to do is to complete the EICR so it's fair to only expect payment once that job is done.

For a new customer I would probably wait until payment for the EICR is received before starting the next job which is the remedial work.

The certificate(s) for the remedial works on the other hand can l would hold until payment is received (subject to this being made clear in advance) as they are a contractual matter. The job you are being paid to do here is carry out the remedial work. Certificates and notification would be completed as soon as the job is done of course.

Reply to What is your take on this please. in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock