• Welcome to the new forum. We're now hosted on ElectriciansForums.net rather than ElectriciansForums.co.uk - Chat about the forum upgrade by CLICKING HERE

Welcome to our Electrical Forum - We started out providing electrical advice just for the UK - But now we have specific advice for the USA too! - Register for free and share American Electrical Advice.

Discuss What power tools? in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Craig1982

I am just starting to get some tools together, I have alot of hand tools and a few power tools but was just interested to see what power tools other people have and which get used most/least and battery or corded? I could go crazy and buy loads of power tools but her indoors wont be to happy!!!

supasparxs

Electrician's Arms
ok here's the plant I have

110v Devalt 5KG SDS drill/breaker
110v Ryiobi SDS drill
240v Borsche SDS Drill
240v Wall chaser
2 x 24v Panasonic drills (one semi retired only comes out when need subbies to use a sds cordless)
15.6v Panasonic drill driver
15.6v Panasonic drill / Impact driver
15.6v Panasonic Metal cutter
110v transformer
415v transformer
4 x 110v em florescent temp lights
16x 110v florescent temp light

I would recommend you start with a SDS cordless drill to start with and then a drill driver

I tend to use my cordless plant. if I'm drilling thru a thick or hard wall I'll use the big dewalt drill

Last edited:

telectrix

Scouser and Proud of It
Respected Member
better to buy a few good tools than a lot of cheap crap.

you need , in order of priority, ( IMO )

1. 240V or 110V rotary stop SDS drill

2. 18V dewalt or similar drill/driver

3. cordless SDS drill

4. corded or cordless circular saw

5. wall chaser

6. now you can start fantasising about fein multi tool, cordless angle grinders, inspection cameras, and the like.

jase

Electrician's Arms
I just buy em as i need em and probably whatever deal is on at screwfix at the time, my hitachi 110v sds was a good buy tho, got a real torque to it a solid blows per min when on rotary stop, great for chisselling walls.

C

Craig1982

Cheers for the replys, I am going to buy alot of things as and when I need them. I have a little cash buring a hole in my pocket so I think I will go for a SDS and 18v drill, now to see what deals are on :sunny:

jase

Electrician's Arms
me too my old ni-cads are holding charge less and less, also alot of peeps i know are using impact drivers these days and they do seem to be the nuts

La Poste

Electrician's Arms
What do you use impact drivers for when doing electrical work?

My Makita Ni-cad has just about had it, Ni-cad batteries do not last long IMHO.

Last edited:
D

D80

Depends where most of your work is - if house bashing a Wall Chaser, Good vacuum, Rip Saw (Circular saw), Kango are vital - but will be near useless in industrial. A good cordless SDS drill is a must.
Some items I have are cheap and nasty (The rip saw is a £30 effort, but generally only used on floorboards).

D

D80

What do you use impact drivers for when doing electrical work?

My Makita Ni-cad has just about had it, Ni-cad batteries do not last long IMHO.
Can get decent replacement batteries from flea bay - non branded mind! My little dewalt combi batteries gave up the ghost after about 5 years, 2 replacement batteries are still going strong after 2 years.

HandySparks

Forum Mentor
For cordless tools, try to decide on a range and stick to it. Then you can use existing batteries and charger on body-only tools later. I've used Makita 18V Li-ion for the last couple of years; very pleased with them.

Cordless SDS is great for cable holes and fixings in tough brickwork. Also with a chisel bit for chasing.

A

alarm man

ok here's the plant I have

110v Devalt 5KG SDS drill/breaker
110v Ryiobi SDS drill
240v Borsche SDS Drill
240v Wall chaser
2 x 24v Panasonic drills (one semi retired only comes out when need subbies to use a sds cordless)
15.6v Panasonic drill driver
15.6v Panasonic drill / Impact driver
15.6v Panasonic Metal cutter
110v transformer
415v transformer
4 x 110v em florescent temp lights
16x 110v florescent temp light

I would recommend you start with a SDS cordless drill to start with and then a drill driver

I tend to use my cordless plant. if I'm drilling thru a thick or hard wall I'll use the big dewalt drill
240v drills!!,were not even allowed 110v,cordless or nothing for us..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Electrician Talk

Electrical 2 Go - Electrical Supplier and Electrical Wholesalers
Electrical Insurance
ElectriciansForums.net (formerly known as ElectriciansForums.co.uk) was setup in April 2006 to provide free electrical advice to both professional and DIY electricians. Whether seeking advice for auto electrics, trying to find electrical installation condition reports (EICR) form downloads, or whether you're here just to talk to other electricians; we've been a first-choice website for tens of thousands of sparkies for well over a decade.