Discuss Storage solutions what works? in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi All, this forum was incredibly helpful when I last posted. I'm a girlfriend (hoping to level up soon) to a man who is just starting his electricians training. I posted before about gift ideas for him and you guys pulled it out the bag for me and gave me ideas that covered me for a few things.

Still on the same theme though, I'm now looking at Xmas and as part of his Xmas I wanted to look at tool storage.

Now he does already have generic tool box/bag for his general DIY tools but I was thinking of getting him something practical for when he's working.

The whole thing confuses me and I have no idea what is actually useful or practical. I see everything from wheeled workstation things to belts.

What do you use and what do you like about it/or not?

Thanks in advance you lovely helpful bunch.

You're going to regret this thread!

There are unlimited options for tool storage, but much would depend on the sort of work he's likely to be involved in and the sort of vehicle he needs to fit everything into.

I use a packout trolley and several boxes. It's probably the most robust system on the market, but is big, heavy and cumbersome, which might not suit someone working from a small vehicle or working primarily on small domestic jobs.

I guess we could tell you what's good value or sturdy (as well as what isn't) and leave it for you to determine which might fit best.

I use the DeWalt Tstak system, the drawers are very good, but the box's underneath are a pain to access as being top opening you have to remove whatever is above them to access what's inside, saying that they all seem to work that way, this will give you an idea: DeWalt TSTAK 2.0 Tool Storage with 2 Shallow Drawers - Screwfix - once you get to this number of stacking units you do need a trolly to transport it all.

You're going to regret this thread!

There are unlimited options for tool storage, but much would depend on the sort of work he's likely to be involved in and the sort of vehicle he needs to fit everything into.

I use a packout trolley and several boxes. It's probably the most robust system on the market, but is big, heavy and cumbersome, which might not suit someone working from a small vehicle or working primarily on small domestic jobs.

I guess we could tell you what's good value or sturdy (as well as what isn't) and leave it for you to determine which might fit best.
Judging from my last post I was fully expecting the 'surely you give him places to store his tool' type comments so I'm prepared 🤣.

I'm guessing if we go with something 'grab and go', small vehicle friendly as that will be less limiting to its use maybe? And can always be a daily use piece of equipment I guess? With bigger/bulkier bits in future?

Although even typing this I just feel clueless.

I use the DeWalt Tstak system, the drawers are very good, but the box's underneath are a pain to access as being top opening you have to remove whatever is above them to access what's inside, saying that they all seem to work that way, this will give you an idea: DeWalt TSTAK 2.0 Tool Storage with 2 Shallow Drawers - Screwfix - once you get to this number of stacking units you do need a trolly to transport it all.
Hi Mike, with this unit do you have multiple that stack on top of each other? So like 1 is OK to start and then you can buy a 2nd that you then pop onto of the 1st on a trolley?

Something like this could be a good start.

https://www.NoLinkingToThis/p/dewal...id=KINASEKPID&cm_mmc=Google-_-TOKEN1-_-TOKEN2

it will clip onto other tstak units from the range but will always sit on the top with your most used hand tools.

Something like this could be a good start.

https://www.NoLinkingToThis/p/dewal...id=KINASEKPID&cm_mmc=Google-_-TOKEN1-_-TOKEN2

it will clip onto other tstak units from the range but will always sit on the top with your most used hand tools.
This looks like just the job. Along with Mike's recommendation for this range too and having gone down the rabbit Hole looking at all the options in this range I think this is a great shout we can build on.

Thanks all.

Hopefully this will also help me level up lol.

Judging from my last post I was fully expecting the 'surely you give him places to store his tool' type comments so I'm prepared 🤣.

That's going to be much less of concern than the range of different answers and opinions.

Backpacks are good for grab & go. I bought a packout one as it's well made, holds loads and clips onto packout boxes. While it's a great backpack and built to last, I wouldn't recommend it as a standalone bag as the packout base would be unnecessary weight and bulk.

Anything Veto Pro-pac.
I've had a tp6-b and a Tech XL for a good few years now and they are still going strong.
The TP6-b is absolutely brilliant and bomb proof.
TP6b a newer version of the one I have.

IMHO a good gift as it's perhaps more than he would spend himself but worth every penny and will outlast most other brands.

This is what mine looks like after several years of daily use / Abuse.
The parts bags attached to it are also great and very handy as an addition
1701193972119.jpg
1701193972113.jpg
1701193972130.jpg

the beauty of the tstak system is that the dewalt drills and other powertools come in the same kind of boxes as empty tool boxes.... so everything can be clipped together.

Dewalt have tstak, and i think Toughsystem... which is a physically bigger box... but they also sell adaptor plates so that the tstak can be fitted onto the top of a toughsystem.

I should say that its the Tstak2 now... Tstak was their older model, but i dont know if they are interconnectable.

Screwfix have the empty boxes on reduced price quite regularly

Quite a few of the guys I work with use Milwaukee tools, but never bother with packout power tool cases. Like the rest of us who use other power tool brands, they tend to keep them in the trolley box as it's the easiest way to move an awful lot of power tools without a 10' stack of cases.

Again this gets back to the work your boyfriend does. Will he need to roll a van load of tools at once or is it more likely he'll mostly want to carry just drill, impact driver and hand tools in one bag.

Tool storage can make life easier or be a royal pain in the backside, depending on how well your choices fit the work you do.

Quite a few of the guys I work with use Milwaukee tools, but never bother with packout power tool cases. Like the rest of us who use other power tool brands, they tend to keep them in the trolley box as it's the easiest way to move an awful lot of power tools without a 10' stack of cases.

Again this gets back to the work your boyfriend does. Will he need to roll a van load of tools at once or is it more likely he'll mostly want to carry just drill, impact driver and hand tools in one bag.

Tool storage can make life easier or be a royal pain in the backside, depending on how well your choices fit the work you do.
Well he's only just starting out his training so I'm not really sure he's envisioned the type of work he'll settle into yet. I have gone with one of the bags in the TSTAK range. I think that at least gives him options to grow with him if he needs too but is a decent 'grab and go' type bag he can either use as his main bag or transport easily in addition to his main one with other bits as I'm getting the feeling this job will aquire lots of bits. 🤣.

It does indeed require lots of bits and tools, the mistake is to buy a bag that is too deep and they get lost inside underneath all the other bits and tools, a bag that will not stand open by itself, can be very frustrating.

It does indeed require lots of bits and tools, the mistake is to buy a bag that is too deep and they get lost inside underneath all the other bits and tools, a bag that will not stand open by itself, can be very frustrating.
I got the one James recommended after having a good old look through all the TSTAK bits and I went back to my original post and bought a few of the hand tools recommended on there too to fill it a bit. I also bought some other bits that weren't recommended as a gift but I figured we're useful and OK as part of a gift (tapes/fish wire etc).
You guys are awesome as I actually think this will be a semi decent gift and I'm equally rubbish with gifts and this kinda thing.

Reply to Storage solutions what works? in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net