Discuss Gift ideas for my boyfriend in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Interesting that everyone has defaulted to tools and meters, does no-one wear trousers or read books anymore?

But yes, as others have said, a decent insulated screwdriver kit is both practical and should be a long-time investment. I still have some in use today that I bought with my first apprentice wages - and that was a LONG time ago!!
Tbh books would have been my go-to but he already stocked up on those and has plenty workwear. He didn't make it easy for me.

Westward, I so wish that you were my "GIRLFRIEND"
its certainly a nice present but a little out of 80% of the populations budget for a congratulations present.

Not thousands (I might save a big gift til he qualifies). I've actually gone with a set of insulated screwdrivers but he has Xmas and then a birthday coming up too so I'm happy for more ideas up to about £200 I guess?
The big-ticket items above £200 are probably best left until he has decided on features, etc, and needs it.

For £200 or so you are probably better with a couple of smaller but useful items. @marconi suggestion of the C.K Automatic Wire Stripper is a good call for much domestic work as it does a really nest job of stripping twin-and-earth cable, only down-side is tends to bite your palms if not careful - I took an angle grinder to mine to remove the bits that bite and otherwise are pretty useless.

Obviously you should check what he as so as not to duplicate stuff! The Wera insulated screwdriver sets are also a really good call.

I would add that a proper crimp tool for common terminals is worth considering. While you can get better ones (e.g. Knipex at around x10 cost), this is a good minimum choice:

If you want to get something safety-related then this is an essential for professional work where you can prove your voltage tester is working before using it to check if something is live or not:

As for voltage testers, you get all sorts of options and folks here will have plenty of suggestions. I have this one and it is reasonably priced, simple (so little change of errors) and so far i have not destroyed it:

Last edited:
The big-ticket items above £200 are probably best left until he has decided on features, etc, and needs it.

For £200 or so you are probably better with a couple of smaller but useful items. @marconi suggestion of the C.K Automatic Wire Stripper is a good call for much domestic work as it does a really nest job of stripping twin-and-earth cable, only down-side is tends to bit your palms if not careful - I took an angle grinder to mine to remove the bits that bits and otherwise are pretty useless.

Obviously you should check what he as so as not to duplicate stuff! The Wera insulated screwdriver sets are also a really good call.

I would add that a proper crimp tool for common terminals is worth considering. While you can get better ones (e.g. Knipex at around x10 cost), this is a good minimum choice:

If you want to get something safety-related then this is an essential for professional work where you can prove your voltage tester is working before using it to check if something is live or not:

As for voltage testers, you get all sorts of options and folks here will have plenty of suggestions. I have this one and it is reasonably priced, simple (so little change of errors) and so far i have not destroyed it:
Amazing thank you.

Bl..dy brilliant humour. You have missed your true vocation as a live comedian.

PS: My sister runs a comedy club in South London. If/when they have a debut comedian night do you want an invite?

Not sure if something has been misinterpreted or something has gone right over my head.

For £200 or so you are probably better with a couple of smaller but useful items. @marconi suggestion of the C.K Automatic Wire Stripper is a good call for much domestic work as it does a really nest job of stripping twin-and-earth cable, only down-side is tends to bite your palms if not careful - I took an angle grinder to mine to remove the bits that bite and otherwise are pretty useless.

A proving unit should last a long time - the very sort of thing the OP seemed to be looking for. Would be a nice starting point alongside a 2 pole tester. While most tools are important, good practices which help to avoid injury or death might be encouraged with this combination.

This could stop a lot of hassle with customers, and increase the chances of tea/coffee all day long! 😂

Attachments

• A13usaonutL._CLa_2140,2000_91DVmojwE1L.png_0,0,2140,2000+0.0,0.0,2140.0,2000.0_AC_UX466_.jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 11

Reply to Gift ideas for my boyfriend in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net