Discuss What to do with copies of test certs now I'm retired in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

If you want to cover yourself for every eventuality, you should keep records for 6 years from the start of the financial year in which they were created. So I chuck out doc's older than 7 years. I think this is a good benchmark even when you are not a company or a registered business!
Eg see: Legal Requirements for Document Retention in the UK - https://www.legalo.co.uk/guides/legal-requirements-for-document-retention-in-the-uk/#:~:text=The%20legal%20requirements%20for%20company,is%20extended%20to%2012%20years.

So I would chuck everything up to, but not including, 2017 🙂

Last edited:
If you want to cover yourself for every eventuality, you should keep records for 6 years from the start of the financial year in which they were created. So I chuck out doc's older than 7 years. I think this is a good benchmark even when you are not a company or a registered business!
Eg see: Legal Requirements for Document Retention in the UK - https://www.legalo.co.uk/guides/legal-requirements-for-document-retention-in-the-uk/#:~:text=The%20legal%20requirements%20for%20company,is%20extended%20to%2012%20years.
Good sensible answer. Thanks!

Given that the longest recertification period can be 10 years it then depends on what type of jobs you have been testing if the cert is time expired then bin it

Anything over 10 year old I would shred or burn. Then put the remained in a box in the garage and burn that lot in a couple years time

Is there any argument to be made for keeping them ?
You've nothing to lose in case there was ever an issue that arose or an enquiry from a customer

Reply to What to do with copies of test certs now I'm retired in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net