Discuss What would give a low N-E resistance (at DC), but not cause the RCD to trip? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

happysteve

-
Esteemed
Arms
Supporter
Reaction score
I'm familiar with RCD spurs giving readings of 0.1 to 0.3MΩ when testing insulation resistance (L+N tied together to E), but what would give a reading of about 65Ω (when tested with "low resistance ohmmeter" i.e. continuity setting) N-E? On a lighting circuit - N isolated from other N's protected by the same RCD, and just for good measure the (double pole) RCD turned off (so if there's a borrowed N with another circuit, N on the circuit is still isolated from E at the PME block). RCD tests out fine, no reports of tripping.

I'll admit I didn't clamp L+N to see if there was actually any leakage... my working assumption is that this is an AC/DC thing - in the same way that if you measure the resistance across L and N when there's a transformer in the circuit (e.g. a shaver socket) it gives a very low reading, but it draws nothing at 50Hz.

I couldn't see any RCD spurs, but that doesn't mean there isn't one buried away somewhere... any I've never had a strange reading this low before.

What could it be?!?

Cheers :)

Is the rcd a true double pole? Disconnect the circuit and test again.

Could be any number of things, likely squashed or nicked cable somewhere.

65 ohms is likely to be a fault where N and E are just barely in contact with one another. This might not trip the RCD if it's near the DB, especially on PME, because as radiohead points out there might never be enough voltage drop along the N conductor from DB to fault to drive 20+ mA through it.

I think the inductance idea may be a red herring. There's no reason for anything inductive to be connected between N & CPC, unless it's actually connected between L & N and the L is disconnected, etc, a bit far fetched.

Thanks all. Appreciate the responses. :)

In reply to some of the above:

- yep, definitely a double-pole RCD

- yep, aware of the usual causes of N-E shorts/low resistances

- thought about something inductive, but couldn't think of anything. As I said, I'm aware though of some items (like some BS7288 RCDs) that do give a low reading between the live conductors and the cpc, but usually in the 100's of kΩ, rather than 10's of Ω

- hadn't worked through the maths with respect to cable resistance vs fault resistance vs load current --> leakage current, I will have a think :)

At 65 ohms you would need 1.95V between N & E at the origin to cause 30mA, so if the voltage is generally below 0.975V (which is likely in a TN-C-S setup) then you won't see enough earth current to cause a trip.

However, in many cases what you will see if it tripping unexpected when you have, say cooker on and shower in use, or vacuum cleaner started, and the peak demand goes to 60A or so then you would see that sort of voltage if there was a total of 16.25 mOhm resistance between the neutral bar in the CU and the combining point of the PME N+E.

That sort of resistance is rather high for that part of the installation, so unless you have very long tails (17m of 25mm, for example) and/or some dodgy contact resistance, it is not going to show up routinely.

Found it (65Ω partial short N-E)... you're gonna love this... :) :

View attachment 59701

:tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:

Given the white paint on the bare cpcs, my money is on the decorator.

Genius!
where's the Neutral? looks to me like a 2 way pull switch so what's the cpc doing in the swiych terminal?

so it's actually a S/L to E Zero ohms fault, the 65 ohms being the cold resistance of the lamp.

obviously down to dodgy dave decorator man.

Reply to What would give a low N-E resistance (at DC), but not cause the RCD to trip? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock