CK Tools :) The professionals choice when it comes to Electrical Tools
This official sponsor may provide discounts for members

Discuss Wiring lights with unlabeled wires, please help in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

davidt

DIY
Reaction score
Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:  American Electrical Advice Forum

Hi, I recently purchased this light fixture and am confused as to which wire goes where. There seem to be 3 "white wires," plus a green wire that's wrapped around one of them. Can someone help guide me? Thanks!!!

Attachments

• PXL_20210118_000448671.jpg
    PXL_20210118_000448671.jpg
    264.2 KB · Views: 54
  • PXL_20210118_000909760.jpg
    PXL_20210118_000909760.jpg
    263.9 KB · Views: 55

westward10

Admin
Mod
Reaction score
The green/yellow is ground. The three white wires appear to be two core with a hot and neutral to each, what do the instructions state.

DPG

-
Esteemed
Arms
Patron
Reaction score
Is the fitting brand new? Was there some sort of connector block with it?

davidt

DIY
Reaction score
The green/yellow is ground. The three white wires appear to be two core with a hot and neutral to each, what do the instructions state.
Thanks for taking the time to answer! The instructions were in a different language, so not a big help. So the 2 "core" will connect to the white, the hot to the black and the ground to the ground? How can I tell the difference between the 2 cores and the hot if they're the same color?

telectrix

-
Mentor
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
looks dodgy to me. those wires seem to be singl core.if so, it's using the ground as a live conductor.if so, the bin is the logical home for it.

westward10

Admin
Mod
Reaction score
They do look like two core but I agree it doesn't look the best quality I have ever seen. Can you show a clearer picture of the end to one of the wires.

hba

-
Reaction score
A DIYers point of view. You can shoot me down from a regulatory compliance point of view but I hope you'll think this makes sense from a practical one.

The three wires look two core to me. I'd guess that they go to lampholders of a sort that is symmetrical like a GU10. You can buy a 'bare' lampholder like the ones in my photo and they come with two white leads. There's no reason why one lead and not the other should be the live one, and in a proper fitting one of each pair would be arbitrarily designated live and connect to a connection box labelled L N and E.

So from a regulatory point of view this is presumably not right. But from a practical point of view, and what I'd do if I'd bought one, is to check the wiring is as I've said and if so shorten the three leads and connect them and the earth lead to a suitable junction box with the cores labelled, which might then need to be fixed to the body of the fitting. Whether a professional electrician would be right to do this I don't know but I'd consider the resulting fitting would be fully equivalent to a proper one. Shoot me down if I'm wrong.

It would be a good idea to inspect and test it first! I've bought Chinese equipment with live and neutral specified, but with the switch in the neutral not the live side.

Attachments

• GU10.jpg
    GU10.jpg
    10 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:

Reply to Wiring lights with unlabeled wires, please help in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net