Search for tools and product advice,

Discuss 110v rcds in the Electricians' Talk | All Countries area at ElectriciansForums.net

D

davelerave

my supplier is telling me these are not available-is this true?

i doubt it:cool:

as the test button won't be fully operational using a 230v rcd

and am i right in saying they should be 10ma on 110v fixed wiring(when fitted)-due to the lower residual currents expected at 110v

these are sockets fed off 110v cte supplies-thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
yes it mentions using 10ma on 110v

only shows a 16A 10mA-i'd need a 63amp 10ma( as it's for a sec DB with a few final circuits)

i was hoping someone could confirm on suitability of 230v rcd?? - i'm dubious on test button ,not operation of (230v electro-merchanical) rcd

merlin gerin sell RCD the work on 110V and you can ring there thecnical support for advice on which one to by for your application as i did when i installed them for a test station.

merlin gerin sell RCD the work on 110V and you can ring there thecnical support for advice on which one to by for your application as i did when i installed them for a test station.

rang them-they don't do 110v rcds

-was it a 230v you got for the 110 application?

does the TB work?

cant remember witch RCD it was as the job was compleated 3 years ago. the RCD was marked 110/240v the tecnical support should be able to find one sutable. Think the test button worked

You can wire an external test P/B across L outgoing and N incoming. Use the following 2W wire wound resistors in series with the P/B.
10K for 10mA
3.3K for 30mA
1K for 100mA

But try the built in trip first, the manufacturers aren’t all that precise in the rating.

may have to switch to 10mA/16amp rcbos for the 110v sub-boards

All the 'hager' rcds work on 110/230v but 10mA rcds seem to be limited to 16amp(presumably because of nuisance)

over '50v' requires rcd here-but unfortunately i purchased DP mcbs before i realised protection has to be 10ma for 110v not 30mA-so i prob can't rcd the board now

you live and learn anyhow!

Have you tried the test button on a 230V RCD on 110V?

yes -they work most of time (prob varies with manufacturer tolerance)

quick curiousity question ?- standard 'thermal-magnetic' mbs

and electro-mechanical rcds used on 230v

are they voltage independent? they will work fine on 110v?

i assume there aren't 110v mcbs at all -the standard 230/400 mcbs are used?

Voltage doesn’t come in to the equation at all as far as E/L or O/L detection is concerned. Imbalance or excess current is what triggers the trip mechanism. I’ve used 10V on a 440V RCD, it still worked. The test P/B was bu**er all use.

It’s one reason the mechanical trip mechanism is retained, under fault conditions the supply could dip, result the RCD, MCB or whatever doesn’t trip.

HV switchgear relies on a making contact to operate the shunt trip mechanism, always supplied by battery systems.

yes -i already knew but still like to have it reaffirmed :cool:

did you wire up a test button the 10v -that was a standard rcd then ?

the 'sticking' would be the issue -obviously if the test button doesn't operate-

which is why they prob don't comply in that cse

The test button can’t stick, it’s spring return. OK if you stand there with your finger on the button for long enough the resistor will fry eventually.
The one problem with the external test P/B is type approval.

Yes the external test did work on 10V, I made sure it did, I was the silly bu**er stood up to his knees in ***** water pressing the control buttons on an experimental plant.

The test button can’t stick, it’s spring return. OK if you stand there with your finger on the button for long enough the resistor will fry eventually.
The one problem with the external test P/B is type approval.

Yes the external test did work on 10V, I made sure it did, I was the silly bu**er stood up to his knees in sh*ty water pressing the control buttons on an experimental plant.

i meant the 'stiction' as it's called when the rcd doesn't operate-if it hasn't been tested regularly

edit:after all that i double checked rules and it's not required here(ROI)for RLV

my bad

Reply to 110v rcds in the Electricians' Talk | All Countries area at ElectriciansForums.net