Discuss 12 Volt lighting. in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi, I'm looking for some advice on the lighting in a bathroom. I recently had an EICR report carried out and it was pointed out that the bathroom lights were not to the correct standard. They should be IP65 rated and it has also been suggested that they should be fire resistant. The present lighting, installed by a previous owner, is a 12v system running five downlights and I very much want to retain the 12v system. The bulbs currently installed have two pins to connect to the wiring (they are marked Osram 44870.

I am currently in quarantine and rely on items that I can get by mail.

I have looked on plenty of websites but cannot find anything that fits the bill - or perhaps there is something I'm missing. So how do I go about sourcing suitable downlights? Can I simply buy 240v rated downlights and fit 12v bulbs or is there some reason that this would not work.

Any advice will be gratefully accepted.

Welcome to the forum.

I recently had an EICR report carried out and it was pointed out that the bathroom lights were not to the correct standard. They should be IP65 rated

If the light are on zone 1 or 2 then IPX4 would be acceptable. So something like IP54.

1608315507282.png
1608315542072.png

Hi, I'm looking for some advice on the lighting in a bathroom. I recently had an EICR report carried out and it was pointed out that the bathroom lights were not to the correct standard. They should be IP65 rated and it has also been suggested that they should be fire resistant. The present lighting, installed by a previous owner, is a 12v system running five downlights and I very much want to retain the 12v system. The bulbs currently installed have two pins to connect to the wiring (they are marked Osram 44870.

I am currently in quarantine and rely on items that I can get by mail.

I have looked on plenty of websites but cannot find anything that fits the bill - or perhaps there is something I'm missing. So how do I go about sourcing suitable downlights? Can I simply buy 240v rated downlights and fit 12v bulbs or is there some reason that this would not work.

Any advice will be gratefully accepted.
measure your ceiling height from floor. if it's> 2.25m (that's 88½" in English, or 7 and a bit inches short of 8ft.)

gawd i hate metric. so much trouble calculating into something understandable.

measure your ceiling height from floor. if it's> 2.25m (that's 88½" in English, or 7 and a bit inches short of 8ft.)

gawd i hate metric. so much trouble calculating into something understandable.
Or about 5 cubits... if it's close to that, you'll need to hunt for your tape rule...

Reply to 12 Volt lighting. in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net