Discuss 12v beacons on van.. in the Auto Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

i=p/u

-
Arms
Reaction score
the boss has asked me to fix flashing becons on van, im going to have look now to see if i can locate the cables and see where there going and if they have there own fuse, do any of you guys have any pointers for me regarding anything relevent to what im trying to do.. if so would be great help then i can take rest of day off.. and chat on here or take kids to beach so either way is all good

tell the boss to buy the ones with a smoke lighter plug on them.

i had hoped you would awnser. well been out there had a look cant bell the cables and they getting no power so im just going to run my own cables off the battery with a switch in line before beacons.

there is a switch there and has two terminals. , gtelectrix how whould i put + and - onto that switch. would i by pass the negative????

i had hoped you would awnser. well been out there had a look cant bell the cables and they getting no power so im just going to run my own cables off the battery with a switch in line before beacons.

there is a switch there and has two terminals. , gtelectrix how whould i put + and - onto that switch. would i by pass the negative????

if you're coming off the battery, through a switch, fit a 5A in line fuse from the battery +, through the switch to 1 side of the beacon. then take the other side of the beacon to convenient bodywork with a lug and self-tapper. some beacons, you need to get the polarity correct.

wel after taking off few panels i got cables installed .2.5mm single cores to s/fs then off to beacons and 3 led stip lights and wallabing they work. need to change that 13A fuse for 5A as the dr says. much current does them beacons use? i wonder .

generally it's a 21watt lamp, so 1.75A. a bit more ifd it's the type with a motor and rotating thingy

why the beacons? to keep within the law, they have to be visible from 360 degrees and not red or blue :smug2:...if it is for recovery work or for stand off work with cherry pickers use 2 led strobes in front grill & a lightbar at the rear. search for emergency vehicle solutions on google...I would also run a live from the battery with an in-line fuse going to a switch panel. what van is it? also led lights/beacons use very little juice so you wont have to fit a run-lock to the ignition.
I used to fit out covert police cars in belfast btw...

Last edited:
LED beacons use next to nothing, but current rating will be either with instructions or available on line. We're issued with strobes whenever we're on highways, I've parked for several hours with no noticeable effect on battery power. What sort of road works are you doing?

Reply to 12v beacons on van.. in the Auto Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net