Discuss 1552 Replacement leads in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

polo1

-
Arms
Reaction score
Guys,
any recommendations for replacement leads for the above. Fed up in particular with the poor crocs. Someone suggested Kewtech? Thoughts/views?

Regards.

I've got the socket&see set (which I believe is kewtech) great set, goods clips, tapered probe tips so no issues with access. Impressed with them and cost about £35 so didn't break the piggy bank

its the little collar around the probes that keep falling off with mine thus rendering the croc clip useless

this is my second set of leads that are knackered now

sadly the one bad point with these otherwise excellent testers

Does the kewtech leads fit the meggar meter ok then??

I've got the socket&see set (which I believe is kewtech) great set, goods clips, tapered probe tips so no issues with access. Impressed with them and cost about £35 so didn't break the piggy bank

You are confused mate, by the fact that Socket and See's parent company REL Group have an electrical tools division called Kew Technic, also part of the group are Super Rod, Work It and Appliversal. Kewtech Corporation Ltd is not part of the Rel Group.

Either Socket and See or Kewtech leads are good alternatives to Megger's current offering. One note of caution, technically if the replacement lead set is to be used for Live testing the test instrument should be re-calibrated with the new lead set as there is no facility to compensate for the new lead resistance. Strictly, this should also apply to new Megger lead sets, but Megger say that their lead resistance has a closely controlled tolerance, effecting only those previously at the extremes of the calibration specification, and few instruments in practice.
In the real world most replace the leads and note any change in earth fault impedance loop readings with those previously recorded in their comparative checking procedure with the old leads, and only considering re-calibration if the percentage change is excessive and likely to take instrument beyond the manufacturers original specification.

Last edited by a moderator:
A bit late but:

The new Megger leads do not have the 4mm connector on the business end. The new connector does not fit the standard 4mm convection on check boxes, R1 R2 sockets etc. They are also in the new colours, red, blue, green. While the new crocs are better you have to take the pointed probe off and find somewhere to put it. I managed to buy a new old set from test-meter but they have a different version of the old crocs. Megger told me to turn the leads around as there is a 4mm plug onthe MFT end but this does not work on the 1552 only the new MFTs. Agggghhhhhhh

Reply to 1552 Replacement leads in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net