Discuss 2391 help in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
hi all

after been made redundant at the start of april job centre said i could be funded for a course so i chose the 2391 as thats the next step for me and hopefully get me a bloody job lol.

so i get a phone call today and iv been booke todo the course on the 2391 on the 21st of may.

now i havent done testing for a few months and its not left me much studying time and im pooping myself lol

anybody recomend any books

i have the red regs and OSG, GN3, and an inspection and testing book

will i need the new regs as at the moment 100 quid is alot to lay out if i dont need them yet

can anyone recomend anything else apart from study and study lol

Just get stuck into GN3. You will probably be one of the last to take the 2391 in it's current form before it morphs into another new City & Guilds qualification.

Get your hands on a load of previous exams, this is what helped me through it recently.

Get hold of a multifunction-tester Fluke/Megger etc from your friend and test your house electrics and your dads and your mums and your brothers and sisters and neighbours and everybody else's.

Get youself onto the learning lounge website. Loads of different videos to watch etc..Helped me when i did mine. Our tutor at college gave us loads of passed papers to do as well.

Helo m8!
Try the exam succes book as well!
Testing your house or relative's house will help you with the practical exam.
I passed mine in december 2011 and I can say it was hard but not impossible.. Phase rotation -types of instruments used
surge protection, voltage drop calculation, earth fault loop diagram on a TN-C-S system...
Try to use the correct terms, read the question and don't waste time thinking too much, if you know the answer write it down, if not next one. Don't forget: humans brain is multitasking. By reading the next question probably the answer on previous question will pop in your head and you are sorted.
GOOD TIMING as well is the secret.
I don't think is a lot of difference in between red and green books. Stick with the red one for time beeing. Guidance Note 3 is the key. Learn word by word tests, safe isolation procedures, a bit of IP and calculations(you can find them still in red book), insist on earth fault diagrams, differences between certs. Dont't go crazy about day and night studying. Get some more minerals and some lecytin. It will help.
Good luck!

yeah i used the 2391 exam success book and found it a big help for the written part of my exam. although you just need to practice testing as much as you can for your practical thats the best way.i was told the main thing that people fall down on in the practical is running out of time so just practice your testing so it just comes as second nature to you as theres not really much time for hesitation in the exam.

the exam wont be until the 14th of june i dont think mate, thats when mine is, my course is the 28/5 with exam on 14th. but im struggling with it myself, ive got GN3 and exam success.

Reply to 2391 help in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net