Discuss 240v power in bathroom in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Joshcl

DIY
Reaction score
Hi Everyone!

You all seem like a friendly bunch and google keeps referring me back to here but I still cannot find any solid answers so hoping you can advise me. I am in the process of planning a shower room re model for my disabled parents but have come across some hurdles (spoke to an electrician, won't even consider it as he said it's against UK regs).

I have multiple electrical devices that need power, Dyson air dryer, automatic in wall tap (240v), in wall soap dispenser (240v) and smart mirror (240v or 12v) or some way to power an Alexa. The sink is next door to the shower, about 35cm away and the hand dryer would be 95cm away from the shower. I fully understand you are not allowed to have switched sockets in a bathroom unless they are 3 meters from the shower area but are you able to have a un switched fused spur? When I spoke to the electrician, he said I cannot have any devices at the sink and he would not consider fitting the hand dryer. The sink would be resting on a wall mounted vanity unit so the fused spur would not be coming into contact with any water

One last thing, can someone confirm if you are allowed a normal single gang light switch in a bathroom? I Have seen it mentioned it is not against regs but the electrician says it is and I would need to keep a pull cord. I specifically want to install a Sonoff ns panel however it will be rarely used as the lights come on when the door opens.

One last thing, can someone confirm if you are allowed a normal single gang light switch in a bathroom?
Yes, you are. There is nothing in the regs to prohibit this. The usual "special location" rules for bathrooms apply.
I've fitted them many times.

In general, most sparks I know would sit down with you and work out a plan rather than tell you it is impossible.
If you give an indication where you are there might be someone who can help you.

Hi Everyone!

One last thing, can someone confirm if you are allowed a normal single gang light switch in a bathroom? I Have seen it mentioned it is not against regs but the electrician says it is ....

Depends where you are, in Scotland it is prohibited, but ok in England and Wales.

Fixed appliances are fine in a bathroom (bathroom means almost nothing in regards to the regulations), as long as the appliance and its fuse connection unit (fcu) is outwith the zone - any area containing a bath or shower has zones around the bath/shower where no 230V service of any type (Other than the shower) is permitted.

Depends where you are, in Scotland it is prohibited, but ok in England and Wales.

Fixed appliances are fine in a bathroom (bathroom means almost nothing in regards to the regulations), as long as the appliance and its fuse connection unit (fcu) is outwith the zone - any area containing a bath or shower has zones around the bath/shower where no 230V service of any type (Other than the shower) is permitted.
Im in England so thats good to know.

I did have a look a the zones before i started designing it as the main thing was having the hand dryer, that would be in zone two. Would a unswitched FCU be fine 350mm from the shower? He said it was un safe having it so close

I take it the hand drier comes with a flex attached…. Requiring the FCU to be close by?

If you see diagrams online about bathroom zones… be aware that a wash hand basin doesn’t have measured zones according to the regs… only a bath or shower.

I’m sure someone will post up the official zone diagram in time.

I take it the hand drier comes with a flex attached…. Requiring the FCU to be close by?

If you see diagrams online about bathroom zones… be aware that a wash hand basin doesn’t have measured zones according to the regs… only a bath or shower.

I’m sure someone will post up the official zone diagram in time.
No flex attached, just has the screw terminals on the inside of the unit

I did have a look a the zones before i started designing it as the main thing was having the hand dryer, that would be in zone two. Would a unswitched FCU be fine 350mm from the shower? He said it was un safe having it so close
Some hand dryer's can go in zone 2, many can't, it depends on their IP rating. If you can find an IPx4 unit that would be ok.
He is right that the FCU cannot go inside zone 2.

e.g. this (expensive) IPx4 dryer came up:

There is usually a way to achieve all of this, such as having the FCU further away, even having the FCU outside the room is possible.

While I think light switches outside the bathroom are a very dumb idea, putting other stuff outside like any FCU for the dryer is perfectly reasonable. Just make sure it is labelled so the next person has some clue!

I quite like pull cord light switches, but have no issue with a normal switch so long as it is out of the proscribed zones.

As mentioned, with good planning and selection of devices, its all doable. I modified an Echo Flex to operate in a swimming pool area as i could not find an off the shelf product, but otherwise Ok, there are lots of showers and bathroom with 240V equipment like taps, blowers, pumps and the like, they just need to be designed for the application outside of the zones with RCD protection. FSUs typically go outside the room

While I think light switches outside the bathroom are a very dumb idea,
Why?

If it’s in a family house, and everyone knows what they’re for, I prefer a normal light switch outside to a pull cord inside….

Oh yeh. I remember where you live now. 😆

Pull cords can easily get pulled too hard, and either string breaks or corner of ceiling gets pulled down. Same with showers. Prefer a wall isolator than a pull cord.

light switch outside door, picture anyone between 10 and 20 years old giggling outside whilst there brother or sister is screaming in the shower TURN THE FOOKING LIGHST BACK ON YOU AIRSOLE or something that sounds a bit like that!!

Reply to 240v power in bathroom in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net