Discuss 6mm to 10mm kitchen switch? in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi,
I'm new here so apologies if this isn't the correct area to post this.
We moved in to a bungalow around 8 months ago and had a full re-wire done etc.
Over the past 2months we've been ripping out the kitchen as some damages (non-electrical) came to our attention meaning we had to stip back to "stud" and re-do the whole kitchen.
On inspection I've noticed there's 6mm cable coming from the fuse box in to the cooker switch but then it swaps to a 10mm cable (says 10mm+4 on the cable?) coming from the switch to the cooker plate/box. We've not had a cooker in as the kitchen wasn't really useable but wanted to install an electric one in the future (thank god for air fryers).
Can anyone advise if this is normal/safe? Hopefully this is all the info you need but if not let me know and i'll try and provide any more info you require.

TL;DR
Is it normal practise to have 6mm cable coming from the fuse box in to a cooker switch with a 10mm cable coming out of the switch to the plate?
It's not normal, but neither does it contravene any regulation, as long as the 6mm2 is adequate for the diversified load of the oven.
The danger is that someone will see the 10mm2 when connecting a future appliance, for which 6mm2 is not adequate, and assume it's 10mm2 all the way to the CU.

Reactions: DPG
It's not normal, but neither does it contravene any regulation, as long as the 6mm2 is adequate for the diversified load of the oven.
The danger is that someone will see the 10mm2 when connecting a future appliance, for which 6mm2 is not adequate, and assume it's 10mm2 all the way to the CU.
Hopefully they would notice when they change the breaker, but I get your point.

Reply to 6mm to 10mm kitchen switch? in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net