Discuss Adding new light from existing one-gang switch in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

T

Tristan Perry

DIY
Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:  American Electrical Advice Forum

Hi all,

Thanks for the help in my previous thread, I got things working well in the end:

20200822_174900.jpg 20200822_171640.jpg

As to my new question, I have the following one-gang switch in my kitchen/diner which powers an outdoor PIR/LED floodlight:

20200915_103309.jpg
20200915_103416.jpg

So this has a twin+earth and a 3 core+earth cable - I'm guessing the twin+earth is the incoming power, and the 3 core+earth is going to the outdoor light (presumably so that the black switched live can power the light, and the brown permanent live can power any PIR sensors??)

Anywhoo, I'm looking to add some under-cabinet lighting to my kitchen which I wanted to power off this switch - by changing it to a 2-gang switch. Since there's already a 3 core+earth cable here, can I just follow the "After" guide here (Adding an extra light from a light switch - https://www.flameport.com/electric/lighting_circuits/lighting_add_extra_light_from_switch.cs4) and so run a twin+earth to the new lights (off the second gang), then link the two COMs of the switch?

As before, I'm happy to call in an electrician if really needed, but I'm also eager to learn more about electrics so any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

TL;DR
I want to power some under-cabinet lights from a one-gang switch (changing it to a two-gang switch in the process).
Aico 3000
CK Tools :) The professionals choice when it comes to Electrical Tools
This official sponsor may provide discounts for members
littlespark

littlespark

-
Esteemed
Arms
Not a problem:

you’ve got a live and neutral there at the switch. It could get a little busy in the back box, so be careful screwing the plate back.
Isolate the circuit first, of course

one thing to watch is the type of under unit lights. Some come with a fitted plug, or a plug adaptor to fit in a regular 13A socket.
You’re not meant to fit a socket like that onto a lighting circuit. (But there’s thousands across the country, running tv amplifiers in attics)

T

Tristan Perry

DIY
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks littlespark, good to know I'm thinking along the right lines :)

The under unit lights I've been looking at are the LED wedge ones which appear to be two-core mains lights, so they should be fine being properly wired through to the switch, but I'll keep an eye out for any which are fitted with a plug.

littlespark

littlespark

-
Esteemed
Arms
The wedge ones are ok, just a trailing flex if I recall.

remember any joints will have to be done correctly in joint boxes... you can’t just use strip connector and tape.

Reply to Adding new light from existing one-gang switch in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Get paid faster with card payments | Go Paper Free - Save Hours | Offer Finance to Customers
This official sponsor may provide discounts for members
Top Bottom