Discuss Adding sparks in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi, i have been in building work since school and do general building work apart from electrics so looking to add it in these strange time.
Only looking to be qualified for small jobs like adding a socket, changing a light etc.

1. So i know their hated short courses but looking at domestic installer course (as my works all domestic) as i presume this would let me be insured and capable of minor jobs.

2. Do i need to arrange a spark to work with me (to assess first few jobs) if minor work.
3. Best ones of these training places (a bit hard to compare unless your been to a view)? Have looked at 2 local colleges would help if they ever return calls and emails.

4. Is their anywhere i can find old tests papers so i can see if i need to pay for private tuition to brush up on science or maths.

Thanks sparks.

The short courses have a poor reputation, but a lot of it is down to where you are before them and how much work you are prepared to put in to them.

They are rather like the short course driving tests - they won't teach you everything you need to know but may get you through a test, though likely not if you've had zero previous experience.

If you already understand a fair bit about electrics and/or are willing to learn stuff yourself, then they are the easiest way to become registered with one of the scheme for Part P notification, which allows you to do the jobs that are required to be notified.

That leaves a fair amount of work where you just need to be competent.

Changing a light or adding a socket generally do not fall under Part P requirements, so in theory you don't need to have a qualification to do them, merely be able to do them safely.

When you are doing it for money imo there is a higher requirement than if doing it as a DIY job (Is it a spur, is there RCD protection, can you test the Zs or R1+R2 of the new socket, is the load suitable, is the light Class 1 or Class 2, etc.), but it's not a hideously complicated black art once you understand the basics, especially in domestic.

If you already have contact with a good sparks through the building work, then it may well be worth seeing if you can shadow him/her for a few jobs to get a feel for what's involved.

There is also a massive amount of Youtube material out there now which wasn't available when I first trained in 2005. You can learn a lot by watching them, though as with everything you have to pick and choose a little.

GSH electrical do some great ones for 'learners' covering some of the basic things. John Ward does some great (if dry) material on equipment and installation practisies. Sparky Ninja and the E5 Group cover the regulations is more detail than you could ever need or would get on a course. And of course David Savery will entertain as much as he educates on the realities of working on site (though you probably know most of that anyway).

The main thing imo is that you need to have confidence in what you can do, but recognise your limits and be prepared to seek advice or assistance when you get to a job that you can't cope with.

Thanks Dartlec really good reply, i know one spark who's now managing projects due to health, so plan to offer him money to shadow me on weekends to start.
As i said not aiming for the big stuff just the smaller jobs, id rather be qualified so will do it even if not essential for these jobs.
From other trades i know my limits like plastering i could do most bedrooms by myself but a big living room id struggle, so happy to stay small.
Which provider gets recommended on here? As they can all promise the same qualification but you want someone who cares what happens to the students etc.

Thanks Dartlec really good reply, i know one spark who's now managing projects due to health, so plan to offer him money to shadow me on weekends to start.
As i said not aiming for the big stuff just the smaller jobs, id rather be qualified so will do it even if not essential for these jobs.
From other trades i know my limits like plastering i could do most bedrooms by myself but a big living room id struggle, so happy to stay small.
Which provider gets recommended on here? As they can all promise the same qualification but you want someone who cares what happens to the students etc.
Not sure on recommendations, probably needs someone with recent experience. I trained at Ableskills, but only a few got through the exam on my course because the rest had done no preparation and had no idea of the basics.

Might be worth seeing who is local and scoping them out. As you say getting one who shows an interest and is keen to help rather than takes the money and bangs out the course is probably important.

Given current situation many of them have probably had to switch at least partly online, which will be a different set of skills, so might be worth trying one that has been doing online courses for a while and is therefore better set up for it.

There are even some where you can do the exam online now I believe, which never used to be an option.

Reply to Adding sparks in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net