Discuss Advice on locking off and isolation in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi guys I wanted abit of advice on the best way to electrically isolate a supply when you don’t have the correct lock offs for the device i.e withdraw-able fuses (I know you can get lock outs for these but was wondering what could be done if these aren't available). I guess I’m just asking about best practice as I’ve worked in equipment where they’ve said they’ve isolated a motor circuit but have only pulled the fuses.

Thanks for your help guys.

Removing fuses is an effective way of isolating a circuit.
If the door can be secured or locked closed to prevent someone inserting replacements then it could be deemed to be locked off.
It depends on the type of enclosure as to if this is suitable.

Also worth sticking up a warning label about being isolated for safety and with your contact info / mobile number. Won't stop an absolute moron but will make anyone else think and check before assuming the job has been done/forgotten about.

Removing fuses is an effective way of isolating a circuit.
If the door can be secured or locked closed to prevent someone inserting replacements then it could be deemed to be locked off.
It depends on the type of enclosure as to if this is suitable.
The door cannot be locked but the isolator hands can be locked off but that’s not stopping someone still getting in the panel

If you can lock and tag the isolator then normally that would be considered enough for safe isolation.
Do you have unusual risks on site because I am struggling to understand the problem

If you can lock and tag the isolator then normally that would be considered enough for safe isolation.
Do you have unusual risks on site because I am struggling to understand the problem
No we just have supervisors which pick up on everything so wanted guidance really on what the electricity at work act state as an acceptable isolation I know the isolator would be locked but still won’t stop people going in the panel and accessing electrical equipment

I've got a couple of the Martindale Electric LOK6 / LOK6W for circuits that are protected by removable fuse (wire or cartridge/HRC):. The LOK6 W is wider than the standard model, allowing you to secure DNO cutouts with the fuse removed and protect the exposed terminals......not that we pull it of course

We use POI tape and the fuses/links are either locked in key safe or issued to the safety documents holder where necessary.

But that can only done where locking off is not reasonable practical.

As with all things this isn't official H&S advice and I would be speaking to your work H&S/legal for there stance/risk assessment.
[automerge]1598824631[/automerge]
But that can only done where locking off is not reasonable practical.

Forgot to mention that any neighbouring combatable fuses/link also need to be controlled

Last edited:

Reply to Advice on locking off and isolation in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net