Discuss Aerial cable questions in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Dave Appleby

-
Arms
Reaction score
When did I ever have an easy one?

This one needs a little background, and sensitivity.

I have a new client which is a children's home looking after severely abused children.

They have had serious problems with Ariel cables and major self harm/ suicide attempts. So I am cutting back and installing wall outlets.

What I'm trying to find is an ultra low tensile strength cable for the wall box TV link. Basically something that snaps cleanly with a good sneeze.

Open to any suggestions on either a cable to use, or, any way of weakening normal cable without damaging the signal carrying ability.

I cannot think of anything off hand as it's the opposite of the normal.

Thanks

Dave

When did I ever have an easy one?

This one needs a little background, and sensitivity.

I have a new client which is a children's home looking after severely abused children.

They have had serious problems with Ariel cables and major self harm/ suicide attempts. So I am cutting back and installing wall outlets.

What I'm trying to find is an ultra low tensile strength cable for the wall box TV link. Basically something that snaps cleanly with a good sneeze.

Open to any suggestions on either a cable to use, or, any way of weakening normal cable without damaging the signal carrying ability.

I cannot think of anything off hand as it's the opposite of the normal.

Thanks

Dave
No matter what you do, these poor kids will find something to use. :(

To minimise risk, if possible would suggest recommending they go for TV's with built in WiFi smart services to do completely away with the aerial cable and have very short power leads from TV to socket. (if not already protected by some other means).

Wall mount the TV's and bring the cables either right behind the bracket or enclose in trunking?

If you've got a signal cable trailing, you almost certainly have a power cable trailing too surely?

Another option could be projectors and mount everything on the ceiling boxed in? That way they don't have anything physical to even grab or attach things to lower down. Depending on the ceiling height and things to climb of course...

Last edited:
idea no 1

You could run power, coax and extra cable up a piece of flexible conduit.

the extra cable, I was thinking about the devices they have in electrical shops that stop you stealing the display items, it has an audio style plug on one end and can be attached to the tv on the other end.

this would make it difficult to remove a single cable for other uses

idea no 2

instead of a faceplate where the cable can be unplugged,
use a very heavy duty coax cable that is swa.
as long as the cable is well secured to the building, it can’t be removed.
keep it low down and as short as possible.

idea no 3
use a series of 10inch long leads that plug into each other,

Who cares if it’s not a prison. If they are at risk of hanging themselves with cable then it should be impossible for them to get hold of it to do so. Why go to half measures when a proper (safer) solution is possible.

More information needed though. Are they being supervised and what is the risk of one of them actually trying to do something like this?

@Dave Appleby

I did a spelling correction on your thread title for you, it allows for internet searches to find the thread as well as not been confused with your washing powder :)
as long as his aerial cables are not used as washing lines.

Just an update.

This is in the kids rooms. Power is already high level sockets with a cut back mains leadi eventually went with the short length lead suggestion as it was the most cost effective and quickest. Seems to be negligible signal drop so happy customer.

I've now got another 3 homes in Fife and Sterlingshire to do.

Thanks again all

Getting sunburnt today doing a power feed for a garden pub!

Regards Dave

Reply to Aerial cable questions in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net