Discuss After some help if possible in the Central Heating Systems area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hello all,

I've never wired in a central heating system, so please bare in mind that I am a bit of an ignoramus when it comes to this subject, however it is something that I would like to get to know and I'm hoping this will give me the oppurtunity. Basically my sister has an oil fed boiler, water cylinder, underfloor heating and a thermostat and it is playing up, basically she has had a plumber round to fix it and he has left the electrics in a complete and utter state all connected extremely messilly into a great big connector block and it has not worked properly since. I was going to buy a wiring centre and start again from scratch, but as I am relatively new to the heating game I do not know what wiring diagram to go by i.e. s play or y plan, and do not know the difference, she is also wondering whether or not she can add a second thermostat to simply control the underfloor heating, any ideas how to go about doing that. In the meantime I'll study the diagrams in more detail and see if I can find out myself, but a few pointers would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Tom

Easiest way to distinguish between systems is to identify the valves you have present and how the pipework is connected to them.

Can you give us a bit more info??

Thanks for your reply guys, I will have a better chance to look at it on tuesday, but I know it has a pump and valve by the underfloor heating valves and a hot water tank with a three port valve in the loft, it does have 2 thermostats, but since the plumber has been there it only works off the one, I will try and get some pictures. I was wondering if there were any decent threads or web pages that explain the differences between the different types of system?

Best advise from me. Other than the obvious. !
Is to draw it out.

Draw what you have first.
Draw all the elements ie boiler, pump, stats etc. then draw how they are connected.
From there use your drawing to figure the logic of how the system operates AS IT IS NOW. !!
do this before taking anything to bits or pulling anything apart.
Photograph all the connections too.
Then if it all goes t**s at least it will all go back together....
Once you've got to the bottom of how it's been put together, you will probably find it easier to get it working how it should. Or at least how you want it. !

Having a quick look at the iphone app there does seem to have the system senario I think you have. Am i right in thinking that you have underfloor heating for the whole of down stares and rads up? or is there a combination of underfloor heating and rads down stairs and rads up? what type of programer/s have you got there should be a way of turning on the hot water (DHW) and heating (CH) posibly through a two channel programer and a way of turning on the underfloor heating possible single channel programer or a programable room thermostat. if you have a look at these and also if there is a cable/s running from the underfloor heating wiring center and the wiring center in the airing cuboard then we can work out.

Reply to After some help if possible in the Central Heating Systems area at ElectriciansForums.net