Discuss any use in looking for an employer to put me through the NVQ? in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

requires a level 2 or 3 qualification.
Not true at all. Google 'experienced worker route' all the information is there. And yes you're right, at the end you must also do an AM2.

The info is exactly like i've said. You need to pass your initial verification and 18th edition before having the NVQ finalised. You need either a Level 3 qualification OR 5 years' experience to be able to do the NVQ. The Experienced Worker Route exists because it's specifically for those who don't have qualifications. Otherwise there'd be no need for it.

Last edited:
Not true at all. Google 'experienced worker route' all the information is there. And yes you're right, at the end you must also do an AM2.

The info is exactly like i've said. You need to pass your initial verification and 18th edition before having the NVQ finalised. You need either a Level 3 qualification OR 5 years' experience to be able to do the NVQ. The Experienced Worker Route exists because it's specifically for those who don't have qualifications. Otherwise there'd be no need for it.
It's for people that have a technical certificate but not completed an apprenticeship. I don't need to Google it. It's on the NET website! The 5 year experience isn't an option for the 2346 it's a requirement.

It's for people that have a technical certificate but not completed an apprenticeship. I don't need to Google it. It's on the NET website! The 5 year experience isn't an option for the 2346 it's a requirement.
Maybe you should google.

Please highlight where it says you need a level 3 technical cert (not including the 2391 which i've already stated you have to have before you can sign the NVQ off) to do this.

Maybe you should google.

Please highlight where it says you need a level 3 technical cert (not including the 2391 which i've already stated you have to have before you can sign the NVQ off) to do this.
I don't think arguing with you is helping the OP. You clearly know best! 👍

Perhaps you will blag that too but NET requires a level 2 or 3 qualification. You can't complete the 2346 without an AM2E.

He's right about not requiring a level 3 qualification for experienced worker route, but candidates must demonstrate knowledge, understanding and competence to the standard of the Level 3 apprenticeship. As you rightly state, AM2E is a requirement for completion and, similar to apprenticeship candidates, should weed out any who have managed to bluff their way to that point.

Edit: I should add that experienced worker assessment can be undertaken through a number of bodies, so it's quite possible that entry requirements are not the same for all of them.

He's right about not requiring a level 3 qualification for experienced worker route, but candidates must demonstrate knowledge, understanding and competence to the standard of the Level 3 apprenticeship. As you rightly state, AM2E is a requirement for completion and, similar to apprenticeship candidates, should weed out any who have managed to bluff their way to that point.
I'm not quite sure what they mean but the NET website has this. As I said earlier perhaps if people are willing to lie they will be able to work around it. A lot of the providers mentioned a level 3. I can't see how you can show competency from working as a mate and not having any design responsibility.

Hopefully they tighten this back up.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220919-175719.png
    337 KB · Views: 7
I'm not quite sure what they mean but the NET website has this. As I said earlier perhaps if people are willing to lie they will be able to work around it. A lot of the providers mentioned a level 3. I can't see how you can show competency from working as a mate and not having any design responsibility.

About two weeks in to my apprenticeship, I was pulled into an office with my tutor and head of department and asked about my experience as they seemed to think the experienced worker route would have been a better option.

I was straight with them and told them that I had a fair bit of experience, but also huge gaps in my knowledge, and that it would have been difficult to prove that experience. After some back and forth, they eventually decided that an apprenticeship was indeed the correct option, but I could see the opportunity existed to take the experienced worker route. What it came down to for me was the desire to learn as much as possible - obviously the majority of this takes place on site, but I don't want to find myself struggling on down the line with a weak grounding in theory. I'm 25 (edit: 30) years late to this and I'll be damned if I don't finish up in the strongest possible position, not having people look down at me for stumbling when the going becomes tough.

One thing I'm absolutely certain of is that I wouldn't have undertaken some of the work I've done this past few months, if I'd got a job as a mate and gone the college route.

Getting back on track; it was from the C&G website that I learned what I'd posted previously.

'Qualification OR personal statement.'

Fairly clear imo.

'Qualification OR personal statement.'

Fairly clear imo.

I wouldn't be so quick with that statement.

While I can not attest to requirements laid down by each body involved with experienced worker assessments, C&G is quite clear on this point:

There are seven Level 3 Performance Units to be assessed before you can gain the Experienced Worker qualification:

• Apply Practices and Procedures for Maintenance
  • Apply Health, Safety and Environmental Considerations
  • Organise and Oversee the Electrical Work Environment
  • Apply Design and Installation Practices and Procedures
  • Terminate and Connect Conductors
  • Inspect, Test and Commission Electrical Systems
  • Apply Fault Diagnosis and Rectification
To pass these units, you must provide evidence from a site of your previous work to demonstrate you can fully meet the performance requirements of each unit.

Ultimately candidates will need to provide evidence of all requirements necessary to gain NVQ and they'll need to demonstrate aforementioned knowledge, understanding and competence in order to pass the AM2(E).

I wouldn't be so quick with that statement.

While I can not attest to requirements laid down by each body involved with experienced worker assessments, C&G is quite clear on this point:

There are seven Level 3 Performance Units to be assessed before you can gain the Experienced Worker qualification:

• Apply Practices and Procedures for Maintenance
  • Apply Health, Safety and Environmental Considerations
  • Organise and Oversee the Electrical Work Environment
  • Apply Design and Installation Practices and Procedures
  • Terminate and Connect Conductors
  • Inspect, Test and Commission Electrical Systems
  • Apply Fault Diagnosis and Rectification
To pass these units, you must provide evidence from a site of your previous work to demonstrate you can fully meet the performance requirements of each unit.

Ultimately candidates will need to provide evidence of all requirements necessary to gain NVQ and they'll need to demonstrate aforementioned knowledge, understanding and competence in order to pass the AM2(E).
That's what you need to pass the NVQ.

To do the NVQ you don't need to provide evidence. You need to pass a skills scan and interview.

That's what you need to pass the NVQ.

To do the NVQ you don't need to provide evidence. You need to pass a skills scan and interview.

I'll repeat this line from C&G again as it seems to be very relevant to the discussion:

I'll repeat this line from C&G again as it seems to be very relevant to the discussion:

Well yeah that's what an NVQ is. Providing evidence of work you've done.

Reply to any use in looking for an employer to put me through the NVQ? in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net