Discuss Anyone know what this is? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Raptor0014

Esteemed
Reaction score
I got emailed these pics from an estate agent I do work for as the tenant had sent them in stating they were main supply cables, which they clearly aren't! Anyone any idea what they are for as I've never seen Brown and Blue cables like that. Obviously they were in some form of enclosure that has broken when they have fallen down. But just wondering what it is so I can speak to the estate agent about it tomorrow.

Thanks
IMG_20211130_144605.jpg
Unknown.jpeg

By the brown and blue colouring, you would think they were singles. Could possibly be suppliers mains cables… but the second photo…. Are they multi core, and is that burned insulation flaking off?

I’ve see overhead supplies come to a grey box on the side of a house, and then singles through metal conduit to the cut out inside the house.

By the brown and blue colouring, you would think they were singles. Could possibly be suppliers mains cables… but the second photo…. Are they multi core, and is that burned insulation flaking off?

I’ve see overhead supplies come to a grey box on the side of a house, and then singles through metal conduit to the cut out inside the house.
I’ve no idea. Was sent the email today and only saw it this evening with the pics.

It does look like some things have been getting a ‘tad warm’.

I would be worried that they were live, right at someone’s door.

I don’t recognise the 4 terminal enclosure they were in either… could it be telecoms?
Doesn’t explain the crispy insulation

I did think at first it was comms cabling. But then I couldn't work out why they would be sheathed brown and blue and why the insulation would be cracking like that.

I don't think they're live but I don't know where it even is as yet as they just emailed and asked if I knew what it was and if I needed to go and make it safe.

Not sure why they didn't phone me if they thought it urgent.

Probably Olde stylee Cable T.V, Rediffusion / Telefusion or equivalent.
They use to use 100+volts as a carrier.

All those systems were handed over to the new Cable companies as part of the franchise agreement, in my area it was Diamond Cable, taken over by NTL, then again by Virgin.
They'll all deny any responsibility for the old network wiring.

They're cabled underground then up poles and across houses at high level.

Probably Olde stylee Cable T.V, Rediffusion / Telefusion or equivalent.
They use to use 100+volts as a carrier.

All those systems were handed over to the new Cable companies as part of the franchise agreement, in my area it was Diamond Cable, taken over by NTL, then again by Virgin.
They'll all deny any responsibility for the old network wiring.

They're cabled underground then up poles and across houses at high level.
I’m guessing it will no longer be live then.

I'd agree with them being distributed TV cables. Don't lick them just in case though 😀

Reply to Anyone know what this is? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net