Discuss Apprentice Help Please :) in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

R

ryanmc_14

Hi Guys , currently an apprentice in a factory that makes polythene my job is a maintenance electrical Engineer , fault finding, pneumatics , basic engineering and electrical repairs , I.E Motors failing fuse changes, switch gear also oil changes , gearbox changes.

Im currently enrolled on an electrical BTEC courses and at the end i will be a qualified electrical Engineer.

I am 20 and completed a level 2 and level 3 electrical installation course , and have my BS7671 Amm 2 Qual.

I have 2 subjects i would like to talk about today if you could help i would be appreciated , i am only an apprentice so any help would be amazing.

My assessor wants to come in and watch me do a safe isolation, with a risk assessment and method statement.

So today when my mentor was changing a 50 Amp fuse which had blew due to a over-current on the motor.

So i asked if i could do the isolation and he could sit back and watch and help me if i needed it, he was okay with doing that and was walking through the steps with me.

So we isolated the whole machine at the Main isolation to be safe instead of isolating just the one circuit, looked it off placed the key in my pocket.

Got the proving unit and tested the voltage indicator all lights lit and i watched them drop from 600v to 24v all working fine.

I always thought on a three-phase board there was 10 steps to any isolating when testing dead.

From the main feeds in

L1>L2
L1>L3
L1>N
L1>E
L2>L3
L2>N
L2>E
L3>N
L3>E
N>E

But he told me to test between L1-L2-L3 not from the main feed tails though and to earth on each phase , but didn't check neutral on any phase , or N>E and then tested across the Fuse we were changing.

I asked the question on what my assessor is going to want me to do and what ticks to boxes for a correct Safe isolation, he said that its been a long time since he was at college and times have changed now, and this is the way he was shown.

After that i rechecked my voltage indicator on the proving unit to make sure it was still working correctly.

Risk assessment would be

- Risk of shock
-Risk of burns
-Death if isolation isnt done correctly

Whos at risk

-Me and my mentor
-The operators on the machines

Method statement would be something along the lines of

1.Find the main isolation of the circuit that needs to be isolated if unsure isolate the whole machine.
2.lock off the isolator and place key in pocket.
2+.fill in lock off procedure book time , date , reason for isolation.
3.check voltage indicator in proving unit
4.complete the 10 step method for safe isolation
5.check voltage indicator after all tests are complete
6.change the fuse
7.Recommission.

if anyone could give me a few pointers it would be really appreciated

also after ive comleted my 3 years i know along way away but i want to do my HNC , HND ?

I understand its hard but is , it still possible to pass with the correct attitude and motivation ?

if anyone has any examples of work from HNC HND i would really appreciate if i could see what its like :)

Thanks Guys

Hi Guys , currently an apprentice in a factory that makes polythene my job is a maintenance electrical Engineer , fault finding, pneumatics , basic engineering and electrical repairs , I.E Motors failing fuse changes, switch gear also oil changes , gearbox changes.

Im currently enrolled on an electrical BTEC courses and at the end i will be a qualified electrical Engineer.

I am 20 and completed a level 2 and level 3 electrical installation course , and have my BS7671 Amm 2 Qual.

I have 2 subjects i would like to talk about today if you could help i would be appreciated , i am only an apprentice so any help would be amazing.

My assessor wants to come in and watch me do a safe isolation, with a risk assessment and method statement.

So today when my mentor was changing a 50 Amp fuse which had blew due to a over-current on the motor.

So i asked if i could do the isolation and he could sit back and watch and help me if i needed it, he was okay with doing that and was walking through the steps with me.

So we isolated the whole machine at the Main isolation to be safe instead of isolating just the one circuit, looked it off placed the key in my pocket.

Got the proving unit and tested the voltage indicator all lights lit and i watched them drop from 600v to 24v all working fine.

I always thought on a three-phase board there was 10 steps to any isolating when testing dead.

From the main feeds in

L1>L2
L1>L3
L1>N
L1>E
L2>L3
L2>N
L2>E
L3>N
L3>E
N>E

But he told me to test between L1-L2-L3 not from the main feed tails though and to earth on each phase , but didn't check neutral on any phase , or N>E and then tested across the Fuse we were changing.

I asked the question on what my assessor is going to want me to do and what ticks to boxes for a correct Safe isolation, he said that its been a long time since he was at college and times have changed now, and this is the way he was shown.

After that i rechecked my voltage indicator on the proving unit to make sure it was still working correctly.

Risk assessment would be

- Risk of shock
-Risk of burns

Whos at risk

-Me and my mentor

1.Find the main isolation of the circuit that needs to be isolated if unsure isolate the whole machine.
6.change the fuse
7.Recommission.

also after ive comleted my 3 years i know along way away but i want to do my HNC , HND ?

I understand its hard but is , it still possible to pass with the correct attitude and motivation ?

if anyone has any examples of work from HNC HND i would really appreciate if i could see what its like :)

Thanks Guys

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SAhrMt3hzsQ

From the main feeds in

L1>L2
L1>L3
L1>N
L1>E
L2>L3
L2>N
L2>E
L3>N
L3>E
N>E

Risk assessment would be

- Risk of shock
-Risk of burns

Whos at risk

-Me and my mentor

6.change the fuse
7.Recommission.

Thanks Guys

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=t...-8&oe=utf-8&gws_rd=cr&ei=oKsWVsnUCcPnUuK3nagB another set of info

Reply to Apprentice Help Please :) in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net