Search the forum,

Discuss armoured cable joint in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

Buy the joint kit and have a good read of the instructions. Dont try to do the job in extreme cold or when it us raining. It is a very simple job. It must be cos i got it right first time. also make sure you have plenty of tywraps as you never get enough in the kit.

Cheers..........Howard

These joints are pretty basic and easy to make off. Your only problem, is if you are jointing a buried cable and the cores are not lining up to well. Other than that all you need out of the ordinary is a hydraulic crimper, manual or electric.

Just watched the 3M video, what the hell did they use to cut the armours an axe? One other thing, it helps if the joint is level when you fill it. Other than that to not bad to watch.

Have fun Graham, what are you doing? Extending a cable or a 2 joint repair?

Let us know how you go on :willy_nilly:

Worst one i ever did was a 150mm that was chopped in half with a digger absoltute friggin pig up to my knees in mud cold , wet hydrolic crimpers , nice thing was the apprentice mixed what looked like a gallon of resin

It’s traditional, you cut the cable, it starts to rain! At least the company I started with had a old GPO tent. Never had that luxury with subsequent companies.

Worst one i ever did was a 150mm that was chopped in half with a digger absoltute friggin pig up to my knees in mud cold , wet hydrolic crimpers , nice thing was the apprentice mixed what looked like a gallon of resin

I’d have given him a clip around the ear. Gallon of tea first, then the compound.

That was one beauty of the old hot fill compound joints, first thing to get packed in my old tool chest was the frying pan and kettle. If you were doing a couple of 11KV through joints it was like going camping for a couple of days and getting paid for it. I never worked out how the foreman worked it. Just as the bacon’s going in the pan he’d appear on the horizon. Doing one joint the local farmer showed up with a tray of eggs for up. Happy days

Good luck

seems a bit big to be doing your first joint, be a 100% with Outer armour connection ties do help may be ask your local wholesaler if thay know some who could help you with this take a picture for ref.
:camera:
good luck

As tony says make sure its Level also SEALED well its worth a roll of tape (if its a big joint) Keep it DRY make sure your tested before filling leave to set for a good while ( go n have a roll n cuppa) Iv also seen this new "raychem" gel stuff but not used it yet seems more for joint boxes like 4x4s n makes completly watertight

The one I just did the resin went off pretty quick, couldn't get it all to spread in the joint.

You’re not the only one. I spent to long mixing the resin it was going off as I pored it. So now I’ve got a half full joint. What the hell do I do now. Quick trip to the workshop and I found an old kit, got back to site to find the foreman in the trench looking at the joint so I had to come clean and tell him what had gone on. I mixed the second lot and pored that in, by this time the foreman is howling with laughter, the first batch was black, this lot was cream. The joint looked like a demented Everton mint! Get it bloody buried, quick!

I remember when i was an apprentice and we had to join an SWA with a resin kit. When we opened the box of the kit there was connector blocks in, im sure, according to instructions to join the cable!! Needless to say these werent used but who the hell puts these kits together???

I always ditch the chocks and use crimps. That said, if you use the connector blocks properly, IR both conductors cut to the full length of the connector block, and secured under both screws, then there shouldn't be a problem. It ain't gona work loose, surrounded by resin!

Lots of good advice here, I've done lots of these (our ground works team can be pretty gung ho ... 'Well us saw the warning tape, but us thought we'd carry on digging boy...')

I always try & get my hands on the joint kit before buying it, various manufacturers some are beter than others.

Take your time with the prep work, make sure you've got a big enough hole/working area to get your joint flat & level & do all your checks/tests before you even mix your resin.

You ought to leave the joint 12/24 hours to go off before backfilling but most manufacturers say you can energise them straight away.

Hope this helps

Reply to armoured cable joint in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net