Discuss Barcode scanner use on already tested items. in the Electrical Testing & PAT Testing Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

E

entech

Hi there was wondering if a PAT with barcode scanner is any use on items that already have barcodes.

Does it depend on what tester was used in previous tests carried out by another company??

Should do but will depend on the scanner / how the scanner is configured and the type of barcode used by the other company (Code 3 of 9 etc)

Its my understanding that the barcode should allow you to record an item and then at a second test, record the same unit and compare the results. This being the case, suggests that each item probably needs a unique barcode number and therefore any barcodes from a previous test probably arn't going to be helpful.

Hi Murdoch For me its a boon if the items have barcodes asset labels etc which have a unique number as you say it provides a unique reference to that item and helps you clearly identify that item.
plus it saves me sticking a barcode on the item ..

Hi Murdoch For me its a boon if the items have barcodes asset labels etc which have a unique number as you say it provides a unique reference to that item and helps you clearly identify that item.
plus it saves me sticking a barcode on the item ..

That sounds like a plan! What do you do if you're testing items without a barcoded asset label?

Hi Murdoch For me its a boon if the items have barcodes asset labels etc which have a unique number as you say it provides a unique reference to that item and helps you clearly identify that item...plus it saves me sticking a barcode on the item ..
Yes it's sounds like it makes the job in hand quicker, but I was wondering if it would be compatible if you was testing with a different tester , or the last test was done by someone else I.e different tester.

Hi All
Well As i stick with seaward testers i have never had a problem changing testers . I have my pat labels &microwave radiation labels custom made for me in high quality vinyl in an easy to use format which means that i can very quickly complete/ fill in a label .

Much easier than using the quality of labels you can get at the electrical wholesalers if a tad more expensive

But when i am onsite the last thing i want is to be taking ages to fill in those standard labels or even worse using the old fashioned method of writing the test results down on a duplicating pad.

72-van

Hi, I stumbled on an old barcode sticker on an asset and tried my barcode reader on it and it recognised the number no problem.

Reply to Barcode scanner use on already tested items. in the Electrical Testing & PAT Testing Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net