Discuss Bathroom on old FCU, implications of new dual-RCD CU in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

T

twist

Hi, I have moved my bathroom and the BCO said it needed a fan as would be classed as new, whereas the kitchen, on the other side of the moved wall, would not, so fair enough I suppose.

I digress. He said to get a Spark in to certify the fan. I'm wondering what I can get away without a Spark's certificate and how much new work can occur on a circuit before it is deemed "modified" and requires RCD protection/17th edn standardisation? This would, unfortunately necessitate a new dual RCD CU. What I am unsure of is what this will entail for the Sparky I employ? Will he need to test every plug in the house once the 17th edn CU is fitted? Every light switch? It's a building site and I'm afraid I have cupboards in front of sockets.

I've heard of people getting a new CU fitted for sub £200 and I'm happy to pay a spark £20-£30 an hour for the couple of hours to fit a £70 MK 8-way CU to my flat. Then another couple of hours to test this and the bathroom circuit. Heard some stories of new CU work coming to £700.

Also, would putting a RCD fused to the fan and light (off of the ring main (perhaps in place of existing socket) or otherwise) require RCD protection for existing shower installation? There's no earth bonding in the bathroom.

Thanks.

edit: just read http://www.electriciansforums.net/e...cal-regulations/12971-**cu-changes-you**.html very helpful, sorry for any duplication, or touting for a sparky. Wouldn't mind hearing it again though.

Last edited by a moderator:
You not only need to certify the electrical work. you are also required to certify that the fan complies with the requirements of the building regulations for extraction. ANY addition or alteration to a circuit in a special location will require notification. A CU at sub £200.00? possible but unlikely that it involved any kind of certification or testing. I would be wary of comparing costs as no two jobs are the same!! There are several things that need to be up to standard when the CU is changed including the main bonding to all incoming services, these can add a substantial amount of work and cost to the CU change.

I would recommend getting 3 quotes from local electricians who advertise on this forum under the relevant thread. Or have a look at Trustmarks website.

as hippy says. it's any new work needs testing and certifying. everything in bathroom needs rcd, and notification. there is more that 1 way of complying. get a couple of quotes.

Hi, I have moved my bathroom and the BCO said it needed a fan as would be classed as new, whereas the kitchen, on the other side of the moved wall, would not, so fair enough I suppose.

I digress. He said to get a Spark in to certify the fan. I'm wondering what I can get away without a Spark's certificate and how much new work can occur on a circuit before it is deemed "modified" and requires RCD protection/17th edn standardisation? This would, unfortunately necessitate a new dual RCD CU. What I am unsure of is what this will entail for the Sparky I employ? Will he need to test every plug in the house once the 17th edn CU is fitted? Every light switch? It's a building site and I'm afraid I have cupboards in front of sockets.

I've heard of people getting a new CU fitted for sub £200 and I'm happy to pay a spark £20-£30 an hour for the couple of hours to fit a £70 MK 8-way CU to my flat. Then another couple of hours to test this and the bathroom circuit. Heard some stories of new CU work coming to £700.

Also, would putting a RCD fused to the fan and light (off of the ring main (perhaps in place of existing socket) or otherwise) require RCD protection for existing shower installation? There's no earth bonding in the bathroom.

Thanks.

edit: just read http://www.electriciansforums.net/e...cal-regulations/12971-**cu-changes-you**.html very helpful, sorry for any duplication, or touting for a sparky. Wouldn't mind hearing it again though.

Big house/ CU, with RCBO's and faults found could come to that.

10 way dual board with bonding about £425 IMHO

Get a couple of quotes.

There is no need to even have a fan "in the bathroom" if you think about this properly. Use an inline unit that is powered by the existing light fitting. The only work in the bathroom would be the installaion of a grill for the 100mm duct and the final connections to the light. Alteration to existing circuit is not notifiable and the work would be fully compliant...Job Done.

I absolutely agree that your way is the best way. Thanks for thinking about it for me. Going to replace the light fitting and may as well get a new shower. Worrying about how many alterations to existing circuits, and replacements of like for like I can make. Wall position looks like no room left for radiator so was sizing up a down flow heater. Reckon I could take a spur off a ring main socket on the kitchen side of the wall? I read spurs were allowed, but that book was so old I was beginning to doubt it. I see this new hope for me as a consequence of the recent changes to Part P, so what the BCO last year no longer applies as long I am only in Zone 2 of the bathroom or outside. Happy days.

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to Bathroom on old FCU, implications of new dual-RCD CU in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net