Discuss battery opperated soldering irons in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

B

Barry White

At the moment I use a gas powered iron for the occasional bit of soldering I need to do and an electric one if there is a lot or fine work.(usually means an extension or taking to workshop)
Has anyone tried the battery version

Toolstation: Cordless Soldering Iron 6W

or similar thinking it would be better than the gas unit but its only 6w?

Had a rechargeable battery soldering iron many years ago it had limited uses due to the battery capacity the gas units are much better. The one you link to will probably cost a fortune in AA batteries and at 6W will create hours of frustration

I've never tried using a 6w battery soldering iron but I'm inclined to agree with UNG. Maybe ask to try one if they have a demo available before you spend your hard earned cash on a white elephant.

a gas soldering iron would be better than the battery one.

it depends on the brand as well, i know on mine i can get it upto temp quicker than my old plug in electric soldering iron (****ty non thermostat controlled)

there is a really cheap soldering station you can buy under £50 that isnt that great but will do the job.

i was looking at it on a eevblog video

I have used Iroda gas soldering irons for years,and they have proved very reliable,with plenty of spares and back up...completed repairs 60 meters up crane jibs,in the dark,where "bobbing" back to the vehicle was not a handy option. I would favour gas devices over battery versions every time :icon12:

I have used Iroda gas soldering irons for years,and they have proved very reliable,with plenty of spares and back up...completed repairs 60 meters up crane jibs,in the dark,where "bobbing" back to the vehicle was not a handy option. I would favour gas devices over battery versions every time :icon12:
has the added benerfit if your lighter runs out you can top it up with the gas

At the moment I use a gas powered iron for the occasional bit of soldering I need to do and an electric one if there is a lot or fine work.(usually means an extension or taking to workshop)
Has anyone tried the battery version

Toolstation: Cordless Soldering Iron 6W

or similar thinking it would be better than the gas unit but its only 6w?

As useful as a chocolate teapot IMHO.
We make custom printed circuit boards. The problem with such a low power is that it takes longer to melt the solder for a joint resulting the heat spreading to the component being soldered. If that component happens to be a semiconductor, you risk damaging it.

Using a soldering with an appropriate rating (we use mostly 25W) the job gets done quickly thus avoiding the risk mentioned above.

Ive got the portasol superpro but the weller pyropen is supposed to be a better bit of kit, what do you think of it?

Not sure i could pay £100+ for a soldering iron though
i got this one for £115 ish inc vat

cpc.farnell.com/1/1/35542-pyropen-piezo-0051605999-weller.html

42267017.jpg

its really good, set gas to 50% then press the button to start it, when it starts to glow orange put it on max to get it to temp quicker.

its upto temp very quick, clean on wet spounge to check temp then lower to 50% for lead solder

Thats a good deal, mine is ok but it if you don't keep the tip mega clean it starts to get a bit sluggish getting the wire up to temperature
its easy to keep clean, put solder on it then straight on spounge, no issues yet getting the temp up.

its supposed to hit 600oC on blowtorch setting so im not surprised

(350-500 variable as an iron)

81c4fa32b4208104b3435bd130189590.jpg

I got a gas soldering iron from Screwfix the other day, It was crap so did the job and took it back, now looking for a good quality has iron so may look at the Weller iron as looks like a good bit of kit.

I got a gas soldering iron from Screwfix the other day, It was crap so did the job and took it back, now looking for a good quality has iron so may look at the Weller iron as looks like a good bit of kit.
if you do go for the weller make sure its the

"pyropen piezo"

there are different models of pyropen and thats the best one, the others have shortcomings in comparison

Reply to battery opperated soldering irons in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net