Discuss Blank electric meter in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

littlespark

-
Esteemed
Arms
Supporter
Patron
Reaction score
Any idea what might be wrong with this?
Did an EICR today, vacant flat. There was a power cut last month, and when power came back, the meter was like this.
The tenant had no idea how much credit he had in it.
He’s moved on now, and the LL needs to sort it out. Is it a case of just getting supplier to change it, or is there a way to get the digits to show?

9DBD3DA3-D4F2-4CCA-B03E-88D226B0C59F.jpeg

Any idea what might be wrong with this?
Did an EICR today, vacant flat. There was a power cut last month, and when power came back, the meter was like this.
The tenant had no idea how much credit he had in it.
He’s moved on now, and the LL needs to sort it out. Is it a case of just getting supplier to change it, or is there a way to get the digits to show?

View attachment 63300
Depress the blue button could be that simple, failing that call the supplier out.

The blue button has been pressed, double pressed, pressed and held in.....

I thought maybe there might be a little penny type battery that could be changed, but I bet it’s behind the seal.

She’s getting the meter changed anyway to a normal non-prepay. Just thought it interesting to know how much the tenant had fed it.

Very common known problem, goes blank after loss of power, hundreds of meters like it, needs replacing.
It's gone into Credit Mode.

According to the landlord, her tenant had still been feeding his card, simply because he didnt know how much electric he had, and was worried it would go off. I guess he was just buying the same as what he did previously to the powercut.

According to the landlord, her tenant had still been feeding his card, simply because he didnt know how much electric he had, and was worried it would go off. I guess he was just buying the same as what he did previously to the powercut.
I'm pretty sure it won't except the key, tell him not to top any more money on the key, when meter installer comes he can view how much credit is on the key, and transfer onto new meter, or credit account if going onto credit meter.

The tenant has left already, and left his key in the meter.
I’m leaving it for landlord to sort out. She was going to get supplier changed anyway and get meter changed at the same time.

Free electric, get some indoor farming on the go...??

Disclaimer,
Said very much with tongue in cheek...

The meter will still most likely be recording power usage and will still hold the credit value and be capable of recording new credit added.
It would also most likely turn off when the credit runs out, it won't go into Free mode just because the display has failed.

The meter will still most likely be recording power usage and will still hold the credit value and be capable of recording new credit added.
It would also most likely turn off when the credit runs out, it won't go into Free mode just because the display has failed.
Thank you for the reply, we had a power cut last week and suspect this was the main cause, I know I was in credit, however upon reading here that it would go into vend mode and I wanted to check how much credit I had remaining, at this point I noticed the Blank Screen as previous post and pictured here.

Guess I better call my supplier.

Reply to Blank electric meter in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net