Discuss blank plate within 300mm from the cooker? in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

MikeMaMan

DIY
Reaction score
hi. i know what sockets most be at least 300mm from the cooker. but if socket is removed and blank plate installed, does it still need to be 300 mm away form the cooker?

How close to the cooker is it I have two right next to mine.

I think the surface behind a cooker should not become heat affected in normal use. So if the back box blanking plate has been in place for some time and is unaffected then it should be ok in that spot. Also, there are metal blanking plates available.

I've fitted a metal blanking plate before now behind a hob (requested before a new hob could be fitted).

If you fit a metal plate ensure you connect the earths to the blank plate.

Is there any blanking plates which goes inside the box and not over it? I would like to connect the wires (its the sockets loop), cover it with blanking plate which sits inside the box and tile over it.

If you fit a metal plate ensure you connect the earths to the blank plate.
Just had a look. There is a connection point on the box. So connecting it to the earth and joining the rest of the cables with https://www.toolstation.com/connector-strip/p19539 connector strip 30A should be fine. Just need a blanking plate which fits inside the box and not over it. Have you seen any? Worst come to worst i can just make one.

I would recommend Wago connectors and yes if you use an all insulated plate connect the earths to the back box, if a metal plate connect to the earth terminal of the plate. You will not find a plate which fits internally to the box.

Last edited:
I would recommend Wago connectors and yes if you use an all insulated plate connect the earths to the back box, if a metal plate connect to the earth terminal of the plate. You will not find a plate whick fits internally to the box.
Wago is good, but pricy, i think i will just make a cover from steel plate so it will be earthed. and tile over it. Thanks for advice!

If the connections are hidden then they must be maintenance free types, not connector blocks. Also, you will be losing the 'prescribed zone' for your buried cables. Unless there is something else in the same vertical or horizontal line.

Please heed the advice others have given. Don't leave something dangerous that may catch someone out in years to come.

That is a bad idea concealing electrical connections behind a tile.
Well, i can not leave it as it is because its in the red zone of my cooker. I have two EMT coming up to it from the floor i guess (so its part of the loop). And EMT is buried under the screed. So my idea is connect wires for continuity and cover it. As i can not leave it in the red zone. I am open to ideas guys.

If the connections are hidden then they must be maintenance free types, not connector blocks. Also, you will be losing the 'prescribed zone' for your buried cables. Unless there is something else in the same vertical or horizontal line.

Please heed the advice others have given. Don't leave something dangerous that may catch someone out in years to come.
Most of my cables are in the EMT buried in the screed. If something goes wrong i think it will be the case of rewire without pulling old wires out (don't think any of them will come out, or new could be pulled through) and running new circuits .

Reply to blank plate within 300mm from the cooker? in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net